McGill is new boss

Elliot McGill was named interim head coach for the Eastern men’s and women’s swimming teams on Friday.

McGill helped coach the teams last season as a graduate assistant. He swam for Eastern before graduating in 2009.

McGill said he is excited to be the interim head coach and said it’s a special thing to follow Ray Padovan and Matt Bos as Eastern’s head coach.

McGill said being the former graduate assistant gives him advantages as the interim head coach.

“I feel that I’m young enough but old enough to understand the kids in college today,” said McGill.

McGill said one of his biggest advantages from being a student so recently is he understands the things students go through on a daily basis.

McGill said his experience as the graduate assistant helped him get to know the personalities of the swimmers.

“I feel there’s a lot of advantages coming in and being the G.A. and seeing things from a different perspective and then coming in and being the head coach,” McGill said.

McGill said he did not feel that there were any disadvantages to moving from graduate assistant to head coach.

“A disadvantage is something you crate within yourself, so as of right now, no, I do not see any disadvantages with me being the head coach whatsoever,” McGill said.

McGill looks to have a busy summer ahead of him.

“I personally am getting married in two weeks so I’ll be working around that fantasic occasion in my life,” said McGill. “I’ll be settling into Charleston as I can and then really just preparing for the upcoming season.”

McGill said he plans to continue to prepare for the upcoming season and make positive changes and tweaks just like what was being done before Bos resigned.

Jordan Boner can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected].

McGill is new boss

McGill is new boss

Chacour Koop a sophomore swims the Men’s 500 yard freestyle Oct. 24, 2010 at Padovan Pool. File Photo