Historic site offers first beer tasting

Lincoln Log Cabin Historic Site had their first Beer Tasting & Silent Auction event Saturday.

Matthew Mittelstaedt, site manager at Lincoln Log Cabin, said they held the beer-tasting event in order to reach out to a new group of people.

“The fundraiser goes for the educational program,” Mittelstaedt said. “We’re working on doing restoration for the Moore Home.”

Maggie McAdams, an intern at Lincoln Log Cabin, said there were 32 different beer-tasting stations for people to enjoy.

The beer was donated by Drive-Thru express, McAdams said.

John Wooddruff, a committee member of Lincoln Historic Site, was the main contributor to the beer donation.

The Lincoln Log Cabin Historic Site board members organized the beer tasting event, which had a turn out of around 65 participants.

McAdams said the silent auction featured items which fit into the historic site’s 19th century atmosphere.

“We had dressers, china cabinets, framed prints, paintings and other historical artifacts,” McAdams said. “It was all donated by a local person.”

The event also featured sandwiches and cheeses, donated from Deli’s & More, located in Mattoon.

Maren McKee, intern at Lincoln Log Cabin Historic Site, assisted in the silent auction and said the funds go to the Sargent Farm Foundation for educational programs.

“There’s the fifth-grader live-in program where fifth-graders come to the farm,” McKee said. “The girls get to do things such as candle dipping and the boys get to muck out the stables.”

McKee said the historic site also participates in school tours.

Later on in the summer, Lincoln Log Cabin Historic Site is having a variety of events.

July 2, Lincoln Historic Site will hold its annual Taste of Summer event.

“It’s focused on types of foods that was grown in 1845,” McAdams said. “Visitors can come to the site and have a taste of sweet corn.”

The historic site also has seed packets for the visitors that want to grow their own crops.

July 10, there will be a vintage baseball game which is sponsored by local businesses.

“It’s not an annual event,” McAdams said. “They’ve been able to get out-of-town teams to come and play.”

August 14, the historic site will host a Bluegrass Jam which will feature musicians from Illinois and Indiana.

On Aug. 27, 1936, Lincoln Log Cabin first opened its doors, McAdams said. This summer the historic site will celebrate their 75th anniversary on Aug. 27.

“We’re not sure of our plans, but it might be a dedication event,” McAdams said. “We’re opening an exhibit to celebrate the 75 years.”

The beer tasting event and silent auction were co-sponsored by Lincoln-Sargent Farm Foundation and Volunteer Pioneers.

Jennifer Brown can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected]

Historic site offers first beer tasting

Historic site offers first beer tasting

Lori Henderson, board president of the Lincoln-Sargent Farm Foundation, pours a beer sample during the beer tasting and silent auction Saturday evening at the Lincoln Log Cabin State Historic Site. The tasting offered 27 different types of beer and alcoho