Professor honored with Illinois geography award

Michael Cornebise, department chair of geology and geography, was honored with the Distinguished Geographer Award April 29

The Distinguished Geographer Award is presented at the Illinois Geographical Society’s annual meeting, which took place at Western Illinois University April 28-30.

Cornebise studies the population and migration issues of people in cultural areas, and looks at their geographical factors.

“I’ve done work with Amish groups and Mennonite groups,” Cornebise said. “I look at settlement patterns and take in account what they are farming.”

The winner is not notified prior to receiving the award from the committee.

“The committee looks for those who have served the IGS in some key capacity,” Cornebise said.

Cornebise said he has been a member of the Illinois Geographer Society since 2002, and currently is the president of the organization.

In fact, Cornebise put together a conference for the IGS in Charleston in 2007, Cornebise said.

Cornebise furthered his contributions to help bring more geography into Illinois classrooms by working with the Illinois Geographic Alliance.

“I’ve worked with Illinois Geographic Alliance, which promotes K-12 in geography,” Cornebise said. “We try to make geography be taught in schools more than it is and we have contacted representatives.”

In fact, the magazine National Geographic has helped make these policy changes easier for those who want more geography in K-12 education, Cornebise said.

National Geographic helps put on contests such as the National Geographic Bee.

This contest, according to National Geographic’s website, is to intrigue the interest of geography in students nationwide. The contest is supposed to bring more geography into the classroom and increase students’ knowledge of the science.

“They supply funding through the alliance,” Cornebise said.

The Illinois Geographical Society has demonstrated a commitment to geography in the state of Illinois, Cornebise said.

Its mission is to promote teaching of geography throughout all K-12 programs, according to the Illinois Geographical Society website.

“I’ve worked on a strategic plan to enhance the visibility of geography and geographic education in Illinois and the U.S.,” Cornebise said.

Jennifer Brown can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected]

Professor honored with Illinois geography award

Michael Cornebise, department chair of geology and geography, received the Distinguished Geographer Award on April 29 during the Illinois Geographical Society’s annual meeting. Cornesbie focuses his geographical studies on population and migration of peop