Former VP for student affairs remembered

Glenn Williams, 84, the former vice president for student affairs at Eastern, died April 28. Williams held a plethora of administrative positions at the university starting in 1960 and he retired in 1992.

Born on May 7, 1926, he was raised in Columbus, Ohio by his grandmother and his aunt, according to the Colorado Springs Gazette, the newspaper in the town where he spent the last years of his life.

After serving in the Navy for two years, he married Joan Ruth Libben and they had two children together. Both of Williams’ children died in 1985. Williams’ wife later died in 2005, according to the Times-Courier.

After graduating with a PhD from Ohio State University, Williams came to Charleston in 1960 as a philosophy professor at Eastern.

When Williams announced his retirement, Louis Hencken took over as vice president for student affairs. In a June 15, 1992 article in The Daily Eastern News, Hencken complimented the work Williams had done for Eastern.

“Williams leaves some difficult shoes to fill,” Hencken said in the article.

When Williams retired in 1992 as vice president, he and his wife moved to Colorado Springs, Colo., however, they were not done with Eastern. They were benefactors for Eastern’s women’s athletics, and they funded the women’s athletics statue in front of Lantz Arena.

Eastern athletic director Barbara Burke said Williams was a major part of women’s athletics at Eastern.

“Glenn Williams loved EIU and his legacy will live on, in particular with the softball field named in his honor and the statue in front of Lantz Arena dedicated to his support of women’s athletics,” Burke said.

The softball field, Williams Field, is named after Williams’ contributions to women’s athletics. The field was rededicated to he and his wife on Saturday, April 24, 2004.

Eastern President William Perry said he liked spending time with Williams outside of the office.

“He contributed to the development of the university’s programs and students, and he supported EIU with his personal philanthropy,” Perry said. “I enjoyed visiting him in Colorado, where he was very involved in the community of Colorado Springs and avid in his hiking and other outdoor activities.”

Williams’ memorial was held on Friday, May 6 at the First United Methodist Church in Colorado Springs.

“Eastern Illinois athletics can not thank Glenn Williams enough for his support of Panther Athletics. He and his family were wonderful contributors to the athletic department,” Burke said. “He had a special place in his heart for women’s athletics at EIU, which was shown through his generous support and giving.”

Melissa Sturtevant can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected]

Former VP for student affairs remembered

Glenn Williams served as vice president for student affairs at Eastern until he retired in 1992. Eastern’s softball field and statue in front of Lantz Arena are dedicated for his support of women’s athletics. Williams died in Colorado Springs, Colo. April