Artist’s paintings showed Coles County

Lifelong resident of Coles County Paul Sargent has his collection of hometown-inspired paintings on display at the Tarble Arts Center this month.

The collection titled “Bridging the Past: Paul Sargent’s Coles County” features primarily landscape pieces with a few portraits and still life pieces.

All of the pieces on display are of surrounding Coles Country locales. Photographs and artifacts are also scattered throughout the exhibit.

The exhibition’s main purpose is to serve as the basis of a 5th grade enrichment program for area schools from May 2 to May 20, underwritten by First Mid-Illinois Bank & Trust.

The exhibit is free of charge to anyone in the community wishing to attend.

Sargent was born in Hutton Township in Coles County on July 23, 1880 and had a love of the arts and the scenery of his hometown until his death Feb. 7, 1946.

“The exhibition will be the subject of a presentation for the Historic Preservation Awards Program,” said Michael Watts, director of the Tarble Arts Center.

“The program will feature a brief overview of the exhibition ‘Bridging the Past: Paul Sargent’s Coles County’ presented by Historical Administration master’s degree candidate and Tarble graduate assistant Andrew Near.”

The awards program will take place May 18 at 7 p.m. in the Tarble Arts Center.

Sargent’s exhibition will be on display every day through June 12.

The Tarble Arts Center’s hours of operation are Tuesday through Friday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Saturday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; and Sunday 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Ashley Hoogstraten can be reached at 581-7942 or at [email protected].

Artist’s paintings showed Coles County

Artists paintings showed Coles County

BRIDGING THE PAST: PAUL SARGENT’S COLES COUNTY IS ON DISPLAY IN THE TARBLE ARTS CENTER. THE EXHIBIT SHOWCASES THE HISTORY OF COLES COUNTY THROUGH SARGENT’S PAINTINGS AND OTHER ARTIFACTS ORGANIZED BY THE 2011 EIU HISTORICAL ADMINISTRATION. (AUDREY SAWYER