Students learn self-defense

Eastern students battled the rain so they could have the opportunity to punch, kick and fight their way out of physical holds at the self-defense program Wednesday.

The program provided students with a crash course in self-defense education and application.

Alyssa Reynolds, a junior sociology major, said she learned methods with how to get out of physical holds that she did not expect she could escape like the single and double-wrist holds.

“I felt in charge and powerful,” Reynolds said. “I was really surprised with myself with everything I was able to do like all of the hits and kicks.”

Lt. Harold Harris and Lt. Phil Lang taught the students different self-defense techniques that they demonstrated.

One technique was the “hammer’s fist” where the person being attacked would strike the attacker’s nose or forearm with a rapid downward motion.

Harris said one of the most common self-defense techniques used is the “knee lift.” This is where an attacker tries to choke a person and the person being attacked has a lot of open space to knee the attacker.

“We wanted to stay pretty basic with different techniques anyone can do, and we chose some that would be more automatic for them so they wouldn’t have to think too much before they executed it,” Harris said.

The first example Lang demonstrated was the “presidential handshake.”

Lang said one of the first things the President learns to do is to keep his thumb pressed flatly down on his hand when shaking someone’s hand, making it impossible for someone to break his hand.

Harris said 90 percent of self-defense is mental and includes awareness, risk reduction, recognition and avoidance.

Some of the methods Harris spoke about include closing the shades or drapes, walking in well-lighted areas, locking doors and windows and using the buddy system.

The self-defense program was part of Sexual Assault and Rape Awareness Week and was hosted by The Agency and the Sarah Bush Lincoln Health Center.

Terri Johnson, a journalism professor and adviser of The Agency, said it was an important program for students, because they do not usually think about the possible danger often because they feel secure and let their guards down.

Lang said he and Harris have been teaching Rape Aggression Defense courses for around six years.

“This is really meant to empower people and give them the confidence to protect themselves,” Lang said. “We give them the opportunity to practice, and become more comfortable and prepared in case they find themselves in a dangerous situation.”

Harris said students can participate in a three-day RAD course next semester by registering on the University Police Department website.

Rachel Rodgers can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].

Students learn self-defense

Students learn self-defense

Lieutenant Phil Lang of Eastern Illinois University’s Police Department discusses ways for women to protect themselves from an attacker during a self-defense class at the student Recreational Center.(Shea Lazansky