Jackson Avenue Coffee hosts rock group

The rock group The Unemployed Architects performed at Jackson Avenue Coffee Saturday evening to an audience ranging from five to ten people.

Dano Reible, owner of the coffee shop, said he organized the band’s concert in order to satisfy customers who were looking for a “younger sound.”

“I wish there were more people here,” said Reible. “All the people who asked for this aren’t here. Unfortunately a lot of people are missing out on a great show.”

Reible said, as a musician, it is important to him to have concerts. He said the events at the coffee shop never have a cover charge.

He said money collected in a hat from the audience usually pays musicians who perform at Jackson, but on slow nights he pays the musicians directly.

“Nights like this I lose,” Reible said. “But I lose financially.We’re not losing as a business because it’s important to have this. I want music in the community, I want people to have a place to play.”

The band, from Bloomington, consists of Blair Steffens on electric guitar and vocals, Tyler Sweitzer on acoustic guitar, vocals and keyboard, Kevin Lyons on bass, and Derrik Griffin Jr. “Big D” on drums.

During the concert, the band performed several covers including songs by the Strokes, Kings of Leon, the Killers, Coldplay, Mumford and Sons, Michael Jackson and Dashboard Confessional. They also performed many original songs including “Gloria,” “You’re so” and “I’m so.”

Lyons said each member is from the same town, and they started playing music out of high school.

He said the band has a wide range of tastes and their music is a blend of all of it.

Steffens agreed with Lyons and said even though he and Sweitzer write most of the music they have very different styles.

“Me and (Sweitzer) just have all different influences,” said Steffens. “You can definitely tell the two different ends of our music. It’s a double-edged sword.”

Griffin said while Tyler came up with the name The Unemployed Architects, each band member has their own reasons for having it.

He said he wants the band to keep pushing the music and get people to keep hearing its sound.

Steffens agreed with Griffin.

“We want to keep playing, have fun doing it and not go broke doing it,” Steffens said.

Sweitzer said the band will play April 22 at Six Strings in Bloomington and June 24 at the House of Blues in Chicago.

Reible said the coffee shop will continue to have musical performances including Jenna Jackley on celebration weekend.

“I’m always looking for something new,” Reible said.

Seth Schroeder can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].

Jackson Avenue Coffee hosts rock group

Jackson Avenue Coffee hosts rock group

Blair Steffens sings and plays electric guitar for The Unemployed Architects Saturday at Jackson Avenue Coffee. The band, from Bloomington, Ill., performed covers by The Strokes, Kings of Leon, Michael Jackson, the Killers, Mumford and Sons, Coldplay and