Students bond through planning

The student government became the first organization to assist with phase two of the Collaborative Strategic Planning process during audience participation in its meeting Wednesday.

Terri Fredrick, an associate English professor and member of the Strategic Planning Committee, said the main goal of the Collaborative Strategic Planning is to come up with a strategic plan for the university for the next five to 10 years that includes the contribution of as many people as possible.

The Student Senate members were separated into groups to write suggestions for SWOT (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats), categories.

Two of the Eastern strengths suggestions were the price of tuition and the interaction between students and teachers. Two weaknesses chosen by the senate members include school spirit and campus beautification.

Miriam Torres, a senate member and senior political science and history major, said the Collaborative Strategic Planning activity helped the student government to bond while contributing to an important project.

“Everyone seemed to bond and I heard senators speak who I have never heard talk before,” Torres said.

During the meeting, two proposals were passed and one proposal was tabled. Funding for plaques and food for the Student’s Distinguished Professor Award Reception was unanimously approved in the amount of $273.35.

A $571.50 travel accommodations proposal for members of the Student Action Team to go to the Illinois Board of Higher Education was tabled.

An elections reform proposal was deemed as emergency legislation and was approved by a unanimous vote.

Rachel Rodgers can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].

Students bond through planning

Students bond through planning

Jennifer Prillaman, student vice president of academic affairs, contributes to the Collaborative Strategic Planning Commitee’s list of opportunities for campus improvement during Wednesday’s student senate meeting.(Kimberly Foster