New category results in three winners

For the first time the Eastern fitness competition resulted in three winners after the Student Recreation Center added a category, Miss Physique, to the women’s contest.

Megan Murphy, a junior psychology major, is the first Miss Physique while, Tim Cline, a senior finance major won Mr. EIU and Kelsey Orr, a kinesiology and sports studies, won Miss Fitness.

Mr. EIU/Ms. Fitness/Ms. Physique is a fitness competition that is open to the campus for male and female students to display physical ability and fitness. Murphy said she had been training for over a year and a half for the competition.

“There was a stereotype attached to the girls, and this year’s competition brought something new to the table with having a Miss Physique,” Murphy said. “I wanted to inspire people and prove that you can still be fit and be feminine too.”

She said the most difficult part was doing the same thing everyday.

“It’s all about education, preparation and dedication. You definitely have to have that,” Murphy said. “It won’t be easy all the way but you will get through it.”

Cline said that he was inspired to compete because he had quit sports and decided to start working and getting in the best shape possible.

Cline said dieting was 99 percent of the competition and was the most difficult part. Cline’s advice for future contestants is to start way ahead of time, maybe 12 to 14 weeks in advance rather than the normal nine weeks.

Sherece Street, a junior hospitality management major, competed in Miss Fitness. Street was the first African American female to enter Ms. Fitness.

Street said her most rewarding part of competing was all of the support and seeing her body so fit.

Nate Dissi, a graduate student, said the hardest thing for him was being on stage.

“Actually getting out there and facing the crowd and preparing for the actual show; that was my fear,” Dissi said.

Dissi competed in the Bantam division of the competition.

“I wanted to conquer my fear and what better way to do it in a bathing suit,” Dissi said.

In each division there was one winner, but the other contestants received medals. The competition took place at 7 p.m. on Saturday in McAfee Gymnasium.

Shaun Johnson can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]

New category results in three winners

New category results in three winners

Kelsey Orr, a senior kinesiology and sports studies reacts after she hears the decision that she won Ms. Fitness Saturday in Mcafee Gym. (Danny Damiani