Motown moves past mistakes

Some of the performers only rehearsed for a day, some of the music started late, several acts were cut and someone lost a wig but the students still performed.

Students brought the sounds of Motown to Eastern at The University Board sponsored the performance, and it is the second annual performance of Motown music at Eastern.

Tykiena Hoover, a sophomore music education major and a performer in the show, described the music of Motown as very soulful and that it brings joy to the heart.

“It’s very different from music nowadays which has transformed into something very different,” Hoover said.

Hoover also said performing gave her a chance to branch out from the classical music she is used to.

“When I perform I tend to get nervous and stand in one place,” Hoover said. “This taught me to get outside my comfort zone.”

Sherry Gunn, a junior communication disorders and sciences major, said the Broadway performance was better than last year’s despite having fewer acts.

“We connected with the audience well,” Gunn said. “Just seeing my friends having a good time while we are acting basically. Every time I came by they laughed.”

Alicia Cook, a junior economics major, agreed with Gunn even though her wig fell off during her performance.

“I’m a performer so it didn’t really phase me,” Cook said. “I stayed in character.”

Cheri Edwards, a junior political science major, was the lead of the performance. She said everyone who performed was energetic and that the mistakes they thought they made did not matter.

“I like the whole acting aspect and going back in time” Edwards said. “That’s what it felt like, we brought back that time period that our parents grew up with.”

Edwards said the performers were able to simulate the era even though the costumes last year were more thought out.

“We waited till the last minute this year and last year we had more of a thought process,” Edwards said. “Things were more modern this year and less like the time period, but it still came together.”

While many of the costumes were dresses, one group dressed in pink and black zebra print shirts with jeans.

Seth Schroeder can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]

Motown moves past mistakes

Motown moves past mistakes

Tykiena Hoover, sophomore music education major, performs “I Heard It Through The Grapevine” at Motown (The Review) Monday night in the Grand Ballroom in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.(Audrey Sawyer