Preparation best way to get a job

With the bad economy, college students are finding it exceedingly difficult to find jobs once they graduate.

Eastern’s Career Services Thursday acknowledged college internships becoming a necessity for students during their “Interview Like a Pro!” seminar.

Brooke Beissel, a senior marketing major, was one of 15 students who attended the event. “I’m going to start doing the interview process and I thought (the seminar) would help,” Beissel said.

Career Services, located in the Human Services Building, regularly has informational seminars, mock interviews, and resume building available for students to help them acquire and retain jobs or internships.

“When you are applying for the job, they will ask you why you want to work there,” said Beth Gillespie, the internship and externship coordinator. “Know why.”

It is also important to know when a company was first formed, where they were formed, and how far their clientele extends.

“Always prepare to dress professionally unless they have told you differently,” Endsley said while discussing the face-to-face interviewing process.

The interviewing process can be stressful, but it is important to maintain eye contact and decorum.

“Always make sure you are prepared with limited distractions and remain professional,” Endsley said.

Gillespie and Endsley also suggest being prepared for different types of interviews.

“Phone interviews are gaining in popularity,” Gillespie said.

Phone interviews, while faster, can become informal for both the interviewer and interviewee.

Students should avoid using words like “yeah” or “thanks;” instead use proper terms like “yes” and “thank you.”

Career Services is having 45 minute mock interviews Feb. 9 where students will have to dress in professional attire and answer regularly asked interview questions.

“It’s a great way to get feedback on your interviewing style,” Endsley said. “Call and sign up for a time.”

Career Services can be reached at 581-2412.

Nike Ogunbodede can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].

Preparation best way to get a job

Preparation best way to get a job

Laura Brow, a junior marketing major, asks a question Thursday during the “Interview Like a Pro!” 60 Minute Clinic put on by career services in the Human Services building. (Kim Foster