Student Senate to swear in new members

The Student Senate will announce executive vice president election results today and swear 10 new senate members into office.

The executive vice president election results will be given and the newly elected executive vice president will be sworn in at the end of the meeting.

The executive vice president candidates are: Christine Anderson, Zach Samples, Blake Pierce and Neil Majd.

“I hope the new (executive vice president) is ready to do their job and that by being sworn in on Wednesday, they are ready to go,” Student Body President Michelle Murphy said.

The new members will be appointed by Jarrod Scherle, the student senate speaker, but first must be approved by the Student Senate.

The Student Senate will also be discussing and voting on two resolutions that where tabled during last week’s meeting.

The first resolution will be an approval for the Conference on Student Government Associations money allocation.

COSGA is a university conference in Texas where student governments across the country send representatives to interact with fellow senate members.

In order to send these representatives, student government is asking for an allocation of $4,318 from the Appointment Board’s reserve account to send student senate members Roberto Luna, Zach Samples, and Alex Boyd to COSGA.

The second resolution is for the additional allocation for University Board Special Events.

This resolution is asking to approve the disbursement of $13,889 so UB can program additional events like last week’s ‘Up All Night’.

Along with the two resolutions being voted on, two new pieces of legislation will be introduced to the senate.

The first is asking for approval for funding from the current student government budget to send a representative to the Illinois Board of Higher Education conference.

The next piece of legislation will be from student government asking for approval for funds from the current student government budget to provide sandwich boards to advertise weekly Student Senate meetings.

“Many students do not know that student government has weekly meetings, the boards would help to make students more aware,” Scherle said.

Senate will also approve eight committee chairs.

Along with the committee chairs being approved, Scott Chapmin will be up for approval to be appointed as the new student government Webmaster.

“This will by no means be a short meeting,” Scherle said.

The Student Senate will be meeting 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Arcola-Tuscola Room in the Martin King Jr. University Union.

Erin Riel can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].

Student Senate to swear in new members

Student Senate to swear in new members

Student Body President Michelle Murphy swears in fall semester’s new student senate members on Dec. 8 in the Arcola/Tuscola Room of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union. New spring semester senate members will be announced at today’s meeting. (Fil