Franklin’s birthday brings big turnout to booth

The Ballenger Teachers Center in the Booth Library celebrated Benjamin Franklin’s 305th birthday despite freezing temperatures through out the area.

About 25 people, including 10 children, were able to learn more about Franklin through story time and arts and crafts.

Jeanne Goble, Ballenger Teachers Center Library Specialist, said she wasn’t expecting the crowed due to the cold weather.

“I can’t believe we had this big of a turnout,” Goble said. “This is beyond what I imagined.”

Goble said she came up with the idea to have a birthday party for Franklin to give children between the ages of 3 and 6 to have an opportunity to connect with Franklin on a personal level.

Goble started the party off with story time, reading books of Benjamin Franklin’s childhood.

“I wanted to make Ben more approachable to the kids,” Goble said.

Directly following story time, the children were given Benjamin Franklin masks and were allowed to create their own printing press by using stamps and coloring utensils.

Brother and sister, Emelio, 5, and Elizabeth, 7, went directly for the masks and the fake $100 bills on the table.

“I have two dollars,” Emilio bragged to his sister and mother, Holly Pucheta while holding two $100 bills.

Pucheta, an alumna of Eastern, said it was her first time attending story time but will be bringing Emelio and Elizabeth again.

“I love that there is an event that can benefit kids but also the education department,” Pucheta said. “This is better than the kids being at home all day.”

Goble will be passing the storytelling torch to Suzanna Cassida, a senior accounting major. Cassida, who works at the library and will be studying library science, will be in charge of story time starting next Saturday.

“It’s been great helping out,” Cassida said. “I’m looking forward to next week.”

Story time for children between the ages of 3 to 6 will be every Saturday at 10-11 a.m. in the Ballenger Teachers Center at the Booth Library.

Zinika Livingston can be reached at 581-7943 or [email protected]..

Franklins birthday brings big turnout to booth

Ian Corrigan, 4, uses stamps Saturday as part of an activity mimicking the printing press at Booth Library’s celebration of Benjamin Franklin’s 305th birthday. (Kim Foster