Informational meeting for EVP hopefuls

Student Body President Michelle Murphy had an informational meeting Tuesday for executive vice president candidates.

There are currently four students running for the recently vacated seat of the Student Senate’s executive vice president.

Murphy, a senior communication studies major, informed candidates of the meetings they would be expected to attend if elected, and other various responsibilities.

“This job is very high pressured and you will have meetings every day until you are caught up,” Murphy said.

She gave information on the Student Action Team and the Board of Trustees.

The Student Action Team is a group that lobbies on behalf of Eastern students to state officials while the Board of Trustees recently voted to increase housing rates 3.5 percent.

Bradley Saribekian, a junior accounting major, said he hopes to set up plans for lobbying in Springfield and the Student Action Team, if elected.

“I am much more confident about the position after attending the meeting,” Saribekian said. “I plan to not only campaign more, but bring up points that need to be heard.”

Zach Samples, a student senator, announced his candidacy Jan. 6 via email.

“As far as campaigning goes, I have visited several Registered Student Organizations, talked with various students at the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union and talked with people in my classes,” said Samples, a sophomore history with teacher certification major.

Samples said that, if elected, he plans to make sure Eastern is represented while lobbying in Springfield.

Blake Pierce, a senior finance major, said the meeting made him more comfortable about running for the position.

“I am eager to start working if elected,” Pierce said.

Christine Anderson, another candidate, could not attend the meeting because she was in class.

Anderson, a senior communication disorders and sciences major, is currently the senate’s secretary.

Murphy said she felt the meeting went well and that she feels it is important that the candidates know how serious she is.

“I expect people to be as aggressive as I am,” Murphy said.

The meeting also informed candidates of what to expect for the debate, taking place on Thursday.

Murphy said she hopes students come out to hear the debate.

“It is a great way to see how knowledgeable the candidates are of the actual position and to see their qualifications,” Murphy said.

EVP applications are due today in the Student Activity Center of the Union and the EVP debate will take place at 7 p.m. in the Buzzard Auditorium.

The newly elected EVP will be sworn in on Jan. 26 during the second Student Senate meeting next week.

Erin Riedl can be reached at 581-2812 or at edriedl@eiu

Informational meeting for EVP hopefuls

Informational meeting for EVP hopefuls

Zach Samples, a sophomore history major with teacher’s certification, listens to Student Body President Michelle Murphy as she explains the role of the executive vice president position Tuesday in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union. (Danny Damian