Benjamin Franklin comes to Eastern

Benjamin Franklin comes to Eastern

This weekend the Eastern swim team had a dual meet against in-state rival and Summit League foe Western Illinois, sweeping the Leathernecks on the men’s and women’s sides, with a final score of 185-62 for the men and 174-70 for the women.

This moved the men’s team’s record to 5-1 on the season, while the women moved to 2-4 for the year.

This marks the second year in a row where the Panthers swept their rivals, and they will look to keep progressing towards the Summit League Championship meet in Indianapolis, Ind.

The Panther men were led individually by junior Rich Waszak and sophomore Mike Lacine, as both provided a pair of first place solo finishes.

Waszak won the 200-Fly and the 500-Free while Lacine took the victory in 200-Free and 100-Fly.

Other men’s top finishers included senior Matt Scaliatine in the 200-Medley, sophomore Colin McGill in the 100-Back, sophomore Ken Tiltges in the 100-Breast, junior Matt O’Hagan in the 50-Free, sophomore Chacour Koop in the 200-Back and freshman Josh Miller in 200-Break.

The Panther men and women both saw success in the relays, sweeping all four spots. For the men, Waszak, sophomore Joe Ciliak, senior Cody Showers, and McGill winning the 200-Medley relay while Tiltges, sophomore Mike Lehman, freshman Adam Jones, and Lacine teamed up to capture the 200-Free relay from the Leathernecks.

The Panther women’s relays also had success on Saturday, as senior Alyssa Lehman, sophomore Kelli Dicanio, freshman Kate Paige, and junior Morgan Roberts teamed to take the 200-Medleyrelay while Lehman, Dicanio, freshman Janis McGee, and Roberts teams up to take the 200-Free relay as well.

The Panther women also had some impressive individual performances, as Lehman captured the 100 and 200-Back events, while fellow senior Megan Eshleman took first in the 500 and 1000-Free races.

Other double solo winners for the women were Dicanio in 100 and 200-Breast as well as Paige in the butterfly events of the same distances.

Other first place individual finishers for the women’s team included sophomore Hailey Foss in the 200-Free, Roberts in 50-Free and freshman Mary Lacine in the 200-IM.

The Panthers had an all day meet in Indianapolis yesterday, as they competed in the Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis Jaguar relay meet.

Following the Jaguar relays, the Panthers have a pair of home meets remaining on Jan. 28 and Feb. 5 against IUPUI and Saint Louis, respectively. After these, the Panthers will head to Indianapolis for the Summit League Championship meet Feb. 16-19.

Benjamin Franklin comes to Eastern

Booth Library is giving people the opportunity to take a walk through the past during the time of Benjamin Franklin by opening the Benjamin Franklin exhibit with a performance by Fred Krebs, a history professor at Johnson County Community College.