Swimmer wanted to stay close to family

Most students here at Eastern have probably never heard of Edmond, Okla., but that is where butterfly stroke specialist Dan Enge is from, and he said that his decision to come to Eastern was actually a matter of location.

Enge said when he was choosing a college, his family was moving to the St. Louis area to relocate because his dad was getting a new job.

“I wanted to go to a school that was kind of close where I’d be able to swim,” Enge said. “I contacted (Panther swimming coach Matt Bos), and he said I’d be able to be on the team, so that’s why I decided, mainly because I’d be able to swim here.”

Enge swims the 100 and 200 butterfly, considered by many to be the most physically demanding stroke, but Enge said that he enjoys swimming it.

“Some people say it’s the hardest stroke, but it’s the one I’m the best at,” Enge said. “I like it the most, it’s the most fun to do for me.”

College swimming is a family affair for Enge, who has a sister that is also a sophomore swimming at Evansville and a brother swimming at Missouri University of Science and Technology.

Enge credits his brother and sister as major influences in his sports career because they have always kept him motivated to keep swimming.

“They always pushed me to work and compete hard in practice and in meets,” Enge said, who is a pre-business major.

He said that the choice of major for him was a matter of keeping his options open after his collegiate career is over.

“I feel like business is a pretty broad field,” Enge said. “I’ll hopefully be able to get a job easier in business than other majors out there.”

Enge said his No. one sports highlight was finishing second in the Oklahoma State Meet in the 200 Individual Medley. He described the finish as a thrilling, come-from-behind push to take second in the final lap.

“I was in third at the last 50 (meters), and then I saw the guy who was right in front of me,” Enge said. “I just gave it my all in the last 50, touched the wall, looked up and saw that I got second, so it was one of my best races ever, probably.”

Brad Kupiec can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected].

Swimmer wanted to stay close to family

Swimmer wanted to stay close to family

Daniel Enge, a sophomore butterfly swimmer, takes part in the Eastern’s first home meet Oct. 24, at Padovan Pool. (Danny Damiani