Holiday Concert spreads festive sounds

People of all ages filled the Dvorak Concert Hall in the Doudna Fine Arts Center to attend Eastern’s annual holiday concert Sunday night.

The holiday concert had a large turnout, with the concert being almost sold out.

“Overall tonight, the performances were phenomenal,” said Caity Walsh, a freshman journalism major. “It sounded like a real recording with all of the surround sound, and it was great to go to right in the comfort of Charleston.”

The holiday concert consisted of the Eastern Symphony Orchestra and Choral Ensembles, including the University Mixed Chorus, the Concert Choir and the Charleston High School Advanced Chorus.

Richard Rossi, director of orchestral and choral activities, conducted the concert and acknowledged the participation of Janet McCumber, director of the University Mixed Chorus, and Juliane Sharp, director of the Charleston High School Advanced Chorus.

This was the first time that members of the Charleston High School Advanced Chorus performed in theholiday concert.

“Performing with so many people was very different,” said Daniel Tuylman, a senior at Charleston High School and a bass in the advanced chorus. “It’s harder to hear yourself than normal, but I felt more relaxed because it would be safer to make a mistake.”

The holiday concert included “Wassail Dances” by Philip Lane, “Fantasia on Christmas Carols” by Ralph Vaughan Williams and “Gloria” by John Rutter.

Special performances were made during “Fantasia on Christmas Carols” by Jay Ivey, an operatic baritone, and Ka-Wai Yu, a cello player and doctoral music student from the University of Illinois.

Aaron Eckert, a sophomore music education major, said he enjoyed performing “Fantasia on Christmas Carols” the most.

“I really liked performing because it’s not often that you get to sing with a full orchestra, and it was just a lot of fun and a great experience,” Eckert said.

Walsh said her favorite part was during the end where everything was loud and crazy.

“The end really gave me goose bumps, and it was a great way to end (the holiday concert),” Walsh said.

Practice for the holiday concert started in October, and over the past few weeks there have been combined rehearsals and dress rehearsals with the performers.

Tuylman said Rossi would often go to the practices at the Charleston High School and help work with the students.

Rachel Rodgers can be reached at 581-7942

or [email protected].

Holiday Concert spreads festive sounds

Holiday Concert spreads festive sounds

Conductor and Music Director, Richard Robert Rossi, leads the Eastern Symphony Orchestra, University Mixed Chorus, Concert Choir and Charleston High School Advanced Chorus in a rendition of “Gloria” by John Rutter during the Holiday Concert in the Doudna