Eastern brings light to darker subjects

In support of HIV/AIDS prevention, Eastern has been putting on different activities throughout the week.

Thursday night there was a candle light vigil that started in Taylor Hall lobby and walked to the 7th Street Underground.

Phi Rho Eta, Inc., Delta Sigma Theta, Inc., and Phi Beta Sigma, Inc. sponsored this event.

Before the walk began, participants were handed candles and had them lit. Also, before the walk started, Rachel Fisher, the director of student community service and the co-coordinator of “Red Week 2010,” talked to the participants about the symbolism of the vigil.

“By lighting the candles and walking around saying chants through campus, we are bringing light to something not normally discussed; we are putting light on the issue,” Fisher said.

Some of the chants said things such as, “People with AIDS under attack. What do we do? Act up! Fight Back!”

Marcus Waller, a senior exercise science major and the president of Phi Rho Eta, Inc., played a big part in organizing the “Red Week” candle light vigil.

“When brainstorming activities to raise awareness, one of the first things brought up was the candle light vigil,” Waller said. “It seemed like a good way to raise awareness.”

Clarissa Wilson, a freshman journalism major, agreed with Waller that the vigil was a good way to raise awareness.

She has a family member who has been affected by AIDS.

“It really means something to me to come out and support HIV/AIDS awareness,” Wilson said.

She wanted a deeper understanding of just how much the epidemic affects people everywhere.

Fisher said she hopes that students recognize the unity on campus through the vigil.

“With rallying around campus, it shows Eastern students just how much they can come together for a good cause,” Fisher said.

Fisher also appreciated the amount of participants and the organizations that have helped with “Red Week 2010.”

Cindy Owusu, a junior health studies major and a member of Delta Sigma Theta, Inc. and the chair-woman for the quilt committee for “Red Week 2010,” said she has been very influenced by all of the events throughout the week.

“I am in an epidemiology class and just seeing the statistics of how many people are affected by HIV/AIDS really made me want to support the cause,” Owusu said.

Erin Riedl can be reached

at 581-2812

or [email protected]

Eastern brings light to darker subjects

Eastern brings light to darker subjects

Marcus Waller, a senior kinesiology and sports studies major, lights the candles of marchers before they make their way from Taylor Hall to the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union’s 7th Street Underground during the Face of Aids Candlelight March Thu