Fans provide support at away game

Panther Nation likes to get loud at football games.

That did not change last Saturday during its appearance at an away game for this year’s season.

Student Body President Michelle Murphy, the founder of Panther Nation, said despite being the away crowd, Eastern had a great presence at Illinois State’s Hancock Stadium on Saturday.

“When you’re at an away game, you notice the crowd a lot more,” Murphy said.

The home crowd was not very big, probably due to the cold weather, Murphy said.

The high temperature in Bloomington on Saturday was 58 degrees with a low of 37 degrees.

Murphy also said Panther Nation was positioned very close to Eastern’s bench.

This meant the players could easily shout back to their fans and help hype them up.

The players’ emotion and cheers helped the fans to cheer louder for the players on the field.

Red-shirt senior cornerback Rashad Haynes said Panther Nation made its presence felt.

“You’re going against a whole stadium on the road,” Haynes said.

He said the fan support the team got from the Panther Nation gave a great boost and was very important.

Haynes said Panther Nation cheered for every big play and every time the offense or defense took the field.

He said he could hear the fans cheering the whole game.

Murphy said Panther Nation shouted many crowd cheers and sang the school song after Eastern touchdowns.

“The coolest part was singing the school song,” Murphy said.

The Panther Marching Band usually plays the school song after touchdowns at home games. Panther Nation sang it as a substitute for the band.

Ed Hotwagner, a senior mathematics major and a Panther Nation member, said he likes to think that Panther Nation has a positive affect on Eastern’s teams.

“I played sports, and it always helps to have fans,” Hotwagner said.

Hotwagner went to every home football game this season and to the game against Illinois State.

One play that Hotwagner will always remember was during either Homecoming or Parent’s Weekend.

Panther Nation was moved behind the end zone to accommodate the larger crowd.

According to Hotwagner the opposing team was close to the end zone. It was third down with two yards to go for the first down.

The linebackers turned toward Panther Nation and motioned them to get loud. Panther Nation obliged.

The Panther defense stopped the opposing offense, bringing up the fourth down.

“I always remember that,” Hotwagner said.

Jordan Boner can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected].

Fans provide support at away game

Fans provide support at away game

Michelle Murphy, student body president and a senior communication studies major, and Jarrod Scherle, a senior finance major, wait for the football game against Illinois State University to start Saturday in Normal. (Danny Damiani