Students and faculty kick for a good cause

Students and faculty came out to the field next to Textbook Rental Service and participated in a kickball tournament Saturday.

The Sociology-Anthropology Club hosted the kickball tournament. The proceeds went to Big Brothers Big Sisters to purchase Christmas gifts for less fortunate children.

Katie Weldon, a senior sociology major, participated in the event and showed up early, ready to play.

“This event is not only fun, but knowing you’re helping someone else at the same time is such a great and rewarding feeling,” Weldon said.

There were five teams represented from various on-campus clubs, sororities and a faculty team. The five teams of six to 10 people played five-inning games and were put into a National College Athletic Association type bracket to find the winning team.

Jeff Cysz, a senior sociology major, woke up Saturday morning and went to the event not knowing what team he was playing for, but he knew he wanted to get involved and participate.

“I heard about the event in a few of my classes, and it seemed like a lot of fun. Then, I heard how it’s for a good cause, and I knew I wanted to participate. I’m here for a good time,” Cysz said.

Some teams even had team names such as “Team Awesome” and “Team Dominators.”

“It’s a fundraiser for a great cause and gets students and faculty together. We have a great turnout, beautiful weather, and we are so proud of our students,” said Craig Eckert, a sociology professor.

At first, not many teams were signed up to participate in the kickball tournament. This had some students unsure if the event would even happen.

“I was so nervous at first because we only had two teams signed up, but this is a huge turnout and way more than we expected,” Weldon said.

After teams were eliminated from the tournament, they cheered on those still playing and watched the games leading up to the championship game. The championship game was Team Charleston against Team Sigma Sigma Sigma. Team Charleston went on to win.

“I’m here because it’s for a good cause and I love knowing I can help someone less fortunate than me just by getting involved in something like a kickball game,” Cysz said.

Michael Rosinia can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected].

Students and faculty kick for a good cause

Lisa Boatright, a senior sociology major, throws the ball to the pitcher during the Alpha Kappa Delta kickball tournament Saturday morning at the field next to the textbook rental building. The tournament was held to raise money for Big Brothers Big Siste