Season ends with 2-1 loss to Drake

Eastern’s men’s soccer team saw its season end in a close 2-1 loss against Drake Saturday at Lakeside Field.

The Panthers needed to beat Drake to have a chance to make the Missouri Valley Conference tournament. They also needed Evansville to lose to Central Arkansas. Evansville ended up beating Central Arkansas 5-0.

With the loss the Panthers end the season with a 4-12-1 overall record and a 1-5-1 record in the MVC, which made them seventh in the standings missing the tournament by six points.

Eastern head coach Adam Howarth said he was pleased with the effort that his team gave, but he was very disappointed in the result.

“Our season was kind of wrapped up in that game that’s the frustrating part,” Howarth said. “We didn’t do a very good job of putting our chances away. It has been a very frustrating season because of that.”

Howarth said this game was much better than the previous two against Evansville and Valparaiso.

“We competed in that game, in our last two we didn’t compete, the energy and commitment was there today,” Howarth said.

Senior forward Alex Harrison said he thought the team played with tremendous effort, but the effects of this being his last game as a Panther did not sink in yet.

“Unfortunately we could not finish on a good note, but the effort was fantastic and I can’t fault anyone,” Harrison said.

Harrison was able to score the Panthers only goal of the game. The goal came with two minutes left in the first half. It was Harrison’s third goal of the season and his 18th as a Panther.

“Obviously it was a big game and it was possibly the last time that I would play in an Eastern shirt, so it was an important goal, it got us back in the game,” Harrison said.

Harrison nearly had the game-tying goal in the second half, but his shot sailed a foot over the crossbar.

“I managed to get there just before the goal keeper and I just tried to lift it over him but unfortunately it didn’t drop in time,” Harrison said.

Howarth said he was disappointed with how the season ended. He said he felt the team easily could have had a much better record.

“It was an absolute disappointment; I mean, 4-12-1 there are not a heck of a lot of positives you can take from that,” Howarth said.

Harrison finished the season with the most goals scored (3) and tied for the lead in points with nine. He tied with junior Ryan Child.

Senior goalkeeper Sean Molony finished his career with four saves against the Bulldogs, while he allowed the two goals.

Molony finished the season allowing 1.11 goals a game.

Other Panther careers that ended Saturday were midfielder Darby Kehoe and defenseman Trevor Kohlrus.

Kehoe’s career ended earlier this season when he tore his ACL.

Harrison said the Panthers should be a good team next season despite losing four seniors.

“I think next year coming off a poor losing season they need 11 leaders out there, I think they can be successful next year and I wish them all the best,” Harrison said.

Rob Mortell can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

Season ends with 2-1 loss to Drake

Season ends with 2-1 loss to Drake

Drake junior midfielder Michael Thaden takes a free kick as sophomore midfielder Kyle Bullock, freshman midfielder Cameron Lauchner and senior goalkeeper Sean Molony defend at Lakeside Field Saturday. Drake beat Eastern 2-1. (Kenji Ohseki