Easterns’ Next Top Model presents celebrity trends

E.N.T’s (Easterns’ Next Top Model) performed their first fashion show like professionals as both sexes strutted the stage.

From edgy, classy, chic, preppy, or Oldskool to the do’s and don’ts of fashion, Eastern pulled off the look that represented ‘Hollywood’ which was the shows theme Sunday night.

Toni Porter and Prince, the presidents of E.N.T, envisioned a fashion show where anyone could be a model.

“I started this organization for everyone; not just for the tall and skinny. It’s a great way to gain modeling experience and confidence no matter your nationality, size, or gender,” said Toni, who is a sophomore communication studies major.

The event was a fundraiser for cancer awareness and the host, Patrick Jake, a senior exercise science major, and Jaleesha Maury, a senior hospitality management major, hopes the proceeds will be given to research to help find a cure for cancer.

Jake and Maury took the stage with confidence as they introduced the first models whose trends were based off women celebrities like Rihanna’s “Umbrella” music video. The model wore fishnet stockings, black shorts that corresponded to her vintage vest, as the model graced the runway with umbrella in hand.

Brett Jackson, a sophomore marketing major, decided to try modeling for the first time to gain recognition. Jackson believes that his style represents diversity.

“One day polo or chic and the next day skinny jeans and a fitted shirt,” Jackson said.

E.N.T fashion show also had guest performances by Eastern’s dance team Rhythm and X-tacy, as they surprised the audience with special dance moves and up-tempo vibe.

Rico, a tribute performer to the late Michael Jackson, entertained the audience with choreography and lip-syncing.

Taylor Hart, a freshman biological science major, not only modeled, but also wanted to showcase her singing skills as she sang “Superwoman” by Alicia Keys.

Wearing a silk and sheer lavender dress, Hart took the stage as she sang the lyrics over the music, quickly grabbing the audience with her voice.

” My grandmother inspires me. My first time singing was at her birthday party, and after she passed, it has motivated me to continue.” she said.

Hart also said she looks up to the other models because they all have something to share, applying their knowledge to improve her skills.

During E.N.T’s Preppy theme, the models acted out a skit as if they were in class, as the men showed off their polo’s, buttoned-up shirts and slacks, and women in colorful knee-highs, pleated skirts and urban blouses, made school apparel look fun.

Jyne King, a freshman graphic design major, modeled wearing a green leafed-colored dress.

“If your have confidence, you can rock anything you wear!” she said.

King agreed.

“And don’t let anyone tell you that you cant make it,” King said, giving advice to students would want to pursue a career in modeling and fashion.

The event lasted for about two hours as models continued to cover the stage in prom dresses, urban wear and party dresses.

Leah Stevenson can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected]

Easterns Next Top Model presents celebrity trends

Teala Irons, a sophomore art history major, walks down the runway during the do’s and don’ts of fashion section in the E.N.T Fashion Models Inc. fashion show Sunday in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union. (Danny Damiani