Relay Kickoff stays strong through windy conditions

Despite the windy conditions, the kickoff the Colleges Against Cancer had for Relay for Life had a good turnout.

There were three combined tables at the kickoff Tuesday afternoon; originally they planned for six tables.

At the registration and team development table, teams could sign up for Relay for Life and learn about how to get more members on their team.

The education, survivor and caregiver table had information on how to stop smoking and petitions for anyone to fill out supporting breast cancer.

Kaliegh Barak, a freshman special education major and member of CAC, volunteered at the education, survivor and caregiver table.

“My favorite part of Relay would definitely be seeing all the survivors,” Barak said.

At the CAC, relay and fundraising table, Pink Week shirts and candles were sold; teams could also learn tips on how to fundraise at the table.

Liz Johnson, a sophomore special education major and a member of CAC, volunteered at the CAC and relay fundraising table.

“I helped call different team members,” Johnson said regarding preparation for the event.

Colleen O’Sullivan, a junior family consumer sciences major and the president of CAC, said she believes the location really helped with the turnout.

“Last year we had the kickoff in the Union bowling alley, no one really knew about it, so the turnout wasn’t so great,” O’ Sullivan said.

This year, CAC advertised more about the kickoff and had a better turnout.

“To have it outside, on the South Quad was a much better choice, people could walk by and see what Relay is all about,” O’ Sullivan said.

Her favorite part of Relay is seeing all the people come out and support the American Cancer Society.

As the kickoff went on, more teams started signing up.

Rachael Blosser, a freshman elementary education major, will be participating in the upcoming Relay with a group of friends.

Blosser has participated in Relay before and says her favorite part is getting together with good friends to support the cause.

“It’s a good way to raise money and make an impact,” Blosser said.

Blosser thinks CAC did a great job getting people to sign up.

“The music and location were both great choices,” she said.

Eric Lyons, a junior communications major and a member of Alpha Phi Omega, agreed with Blosser’s opinion that CAC did well with getting people to sign up.

“All the purple out here really catches your attention,” he said.

Lyons plans to participate in Relay this year with his organization and hopes to have as much fun as he did before.

Kelsey Myers, a sophomore special education major, like Lyons, plans to participate in Relay with an organization.

Myers is a member of the Association of Honors Students.

She has participated before and loves when they light the luminaries.

“Everyone just gets so touched by that,” Myers said.

Erin Riedl can be reached at 581-7942

or at [email protected].

Relay Kickoff stays strong through windy conditions

Dana Browne a special education junior and Michelle Wojcik a junior marketing major sign up their relay teams for Relay For Life in the south quad Tuesday. Relay For Life is sponsored by the American Cancer Society. (Dave Parks