Top Cat: Alex Zwettler

Last weekend, the most outstanding performance by a Panther came from the volleyball’s senior outside hitter Alex Zwettler.

Friday’s match with Tennessee-Martin saw Zwettler lead all players on the court with 14 kills, while adding 10 digs for her 43rd career double-double.

Zwettler also had two of the Panthers’ four service aces, and was the only Panther other than junior setter Chrissie Albers to post an assist.

Zwettler had another great game on Saturday in the Panthers’ loss to Murray State, again posting double digit kills with 10 and coming up four digs shy of yet another double-double.

These stats really speak to Zwettler’s all-around game and her variety of skills on the court.

Prior to the 2010 season, Zwettler led the Panthers in kills in back to back seasons, in addition to being named to five different All-Tournament teams over the course of her Panther career.

In spite of being such a talented individual, she remains dedicated to being a team player, saying that having such a great statistical weekend is bittersweet considering the Panthers’ loss to Ohio Valley Conference rival Murray State on Saturday.

“Right now the most important thing is the team. We lost when we shouldn’t have, so we all need to step up our play,” Zwettler said. “It’s a great honor, but something that isn’t important right now.”

Zwettler was moved from her natural position of outside hitter to the more defensive-minded libero spot at the beginning of the Panthers’ OVC schedule because of an injury to starting libero Brittany Wallace.

She took the move in stride, pr oviding Eastern with outstanding defensive play before being moved back to her original position with Wallace’s return to the lineup.

“I think that once (fellow senior outside hitter) Kelsey (Orr, who had been injured recently) gets healthy, it’s going to be good to get her back in,” Zwettler said. “From there it’s just going to be a great competition, fighting for the spot every day.”

Zwettler remains focused on the team’s success; however, adding that the Panthers need to work hard this week so that they can come out with another win this weekend against Southeast Missouri State.

The senior outside hitter from Madison, Wis. has a strong family background in volleyball, with her oldest sister, Callie, being a Division-II All-American at Minnesota-Duluth and her other sister, Eliza, a two-year standout at Eastern.

Zwettler said that playing with Eliza her freshman year was a great experience.

She said in her advice to younger athletes to play for the right reasons and leave everything out on the court.

“Play for the love of the game and have no regrets,” Zwettler said on her eiupanthers.com profile.

Brad Kupiec can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected]

Top Cat: Alex Zwettler

Top+Cat%3A+Alex+Zwettler+

Senior outside hitter Alex Zwettler recorded her 43rd career double-double with 14 kills and 10 digs against UT Martin on Friday in Martin, Tenn. (Jordan Boner