SAE, BSU sweep Homecoming Court

Sigma Alpha Epsilon and the Black Student Union continue the legacy of having their Homecoming Court candidates crowned at Homecoming Coronation.

Homecoming King and Prince are members of SAE and the Homecoming Queen and Princess are members of BSU.

Charlie Jaques, a junior biology and French major with teacher certification, and Jaleesha Maury, a senior hospitality major, were crowned Homecoming King and Queen.

Jonathan Boudreau, a sophomore sociology major, and Alicia Cook, a sophomore economics major, were crowned as 2010 Homecoming Prince and Princess.

SAE candidates have won Homecoming King three years in a row and have won Homecoming Prince two years in a row.

Their motto is to act as true gentlemen.

“It’s a testament to the kind of guys that we try and get; we really do look for that outstanding character and leader,” Jaques said. “We like to think that chivalry is not dead. We hold ourselves to the highest standard in all that we can be.”

In 2008, BSU candidate Chandra Golden, now an Eastern graduate, won Homecoming Queen along with 2008 Homecoming King Daniel Rolando.

Rolando is now student government’s vice president of student affairs.

Cook said how great all the support and participation has been with BSU and how she is very excited about being recognized.

“I am ecstatic. I have been sweating bullets since last week. I’ve been wanting this so much, and I just can’t stop smiling my cheeks are going to hurt later tonight. I’m so pumped,” Jaques said.

Cook had a similar reaction to being crowned.

“I’m still in shock. It hasn’t quite sank in yet, but I’m so very proud to represent my organization, it feels so good to be a winner,” Cook said.

The winners had different motives for running for Homecoming Court.

“I feel like I can really be the one to represent EIU. I wanted to be a role model for students, especially girls,” Maury said.

Boudreau ran because he was nominated to represent SAE.

“My fraternity is the one that nominated me, and our motto is to be true gentlemen, and I just feel so honored that I was nominated,’ Boudreau said.

Jaques also ran because SAE nominated him.

“This fraternity means so much to me, and it meant so much just to be nominated,” Jaques said. “It was an outstanding opportunity, and it’s one of those things that doesn’t happen more than once.”

Cook discussed how she became involved.

“It was out of my comfort zone and I wanted to try something new. I thought that it would be a great experience, and it definitely is,” Cook said.

The winners also gave advice to students who may be considering running for Homecoming Court in the future.

“My advice for future students would have to be it’s all about the way you present yourself; be confident in who you are. Make sure that you have school spirit because this is a position that is all about our campus,” Jaques said. “Eastern should be your home, it should be your family, it should be your community.”

Jaques also discussed how prospective candidates should be dedicated while still having fun with the process without putting too much stress on themselves.

Boudreau agreed.

“Step one: Definitely get involved. Step two: Go out and have a good time,” Boudreau said.

The Homecoming Court is required to attend every homecoming event unless they are exempt from classes.

“Work hard. It is not all about winning; it is about representing the campus with what you do, and it is definitely a reward in the end,” Maury said.

Rachel Rodgers can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected].

SAE, BSU sweep Homecoming Court

SAE, BSU sweep Homecoming Court

Jaleesha Maury representing the Black Student Union and Charles Jaques of Sigma Alpha Epilson were crowned the 2010 Homecoming queen and king Monday night in McAffee Gym. ( Audrey Sawyer