Editorial Cartoon: Alesha Bailey

The Lewis Sisters, a country band, brought a different sound to Eastern in the 7th Street Underground Wednesday night.

The performance was put on by the University Board and was titled “Eastern goes Western.”

The Lewis Sisters, Amy and Madeline, from Nashville, Tenn., performed both original songs and covers.

Originally a trio, the group was forced to become a duet because Abbe, a third sister, is currently studying in Hungary, at Calvary Chapel Bible College.

Before their performance, Amy hoped they could follow the “Eastern goes Western” theme.

As they were getting ready to start, Madeline was tuning her mandolin and Amy decided to make a joke.

Amy asked the crowd, “Why did the cowboy buy a doxin?” The crowd responded “why?” Amy followed with, “Someone told him to get along little doggie.”

Amy then informed the crowd that they get their jokes off popsicle sticks.

The sisters performed a selection of original songs and covers by artists varying from the Dixie Chicks to The Beatles.

Cassie Falco, a sophomore family and consumer science major and the main stage coordinator for the UB, hoped for a better turnout.

“Even though the turnout was lower than expected, I believe it went very well,” Falco said.

Falco really enjoyed the covers the sisters did.

“I grew up listening to a lot of those songs, it was nice to be able to hear them,” Falco said.

Madeline, who at 18 is the youngest sister, thought the performance went really well.

“I feel like everyone seemed to be into it,” Madeline said.

She has taken the semester off from school to work at Starbucks and play shows with Amy.

Amy Lewis, who is 23 years old and married, shares her sisters’ opinion on how the show went.

“The audience really seemed to like the covers,” Lewis said.

She really enjoys playing the cover songs and is inspired by artists such as Alanis Morissette, Jewel, and Sarah Mclachlan.

Emily Thompson, a sophomore undecided major and a UB member, won the co-title of Best Dressed Cowgirl.

She really enjoyed that the sisters took the time to get to know their audience before and during the performance.

“It was a very intimate performance, they were really engaging in talking with the audience,” Thompson said.

Thompson liked all of the sisters’ original songs the best.

Paige Showalter, a sophomore family and consumer sciences major and a UB member, also won the co-title of Best Dressed Cowgirl. She enjoyed the Dixie Chicks cover songs.

Antonio Burton, a senior art major and UB member in charge of productions, was asked to come up on stage and dance during the last song titled “Beware the Wind.”

“It was really cool to go up on stage,” Burton said.

Burton, like Thompson, enjoyed that the sisters engaged with the audience.

Despite the low turnout, the crowd enjoyed hearing the sisters play.

Since both Amy and Madeline are busy, Amy is working on going solo.

You can find out more about Amy’s solo project at www.reverbnation.com/AmyLewis.

Erin Riedl can be reached at

581-7942 or at [email protected]

Editorial Cartoon: Alesha Bailey

Editorial+Cartoon%3A+Alesha+Bailey+

Illustration by Alesha Bailey