Promising start for Pink Panther’s season

If you have ever been to a football or basketball game, chances are you have seen the Pink Panthers. They are the dancers who are part of the EIU Marching Band.

“It’s really cool to be a part of the marching band, it was so much fun to be there at the Bear’s game,” said senior Kristen Pierce, a Pink Panther member.

Pierce said the level of teamwork has increased.

“We see each other every day and we hang out outside of the pink panthers and have actually been connecting really well, we haven’t had any immediate problems,” Pierce said.

Sophomore Pink Panther Kiki Chiligiris agreed.

“There have been two separate try-outs, one in the Spring and one earlier this year so there are already a core set of girls connecting, and so far we all work well together,” Chiligiris said.

There is a lot that the Pink Panthers hope to accomplish this year.

“We would really like to be able to go to nationals this year and I would love to have a very strong routine for it,” Pierce said.

Nationals take place in January at Disney World in Orlando, Florida. The Pink Panthers attended last year.

“We really want to go to nationals this year, more girls tried out for the team this year because of us going to nationals last year,” Chiligiris said.

The teamwork this year is very different from how it was last year.

“(This year) we realize what we have to get done and we know to fight through what we need to fight through. We definitely are more willing to work as the year goes on, we did a lot more complaining last year,” Chiligiris said.

Senior Gina Geraci, who is taking part in the Pink Panthers for her fourth year in a row agreed.

“We all mesh a lot better, last year there was a huge divide, but we are all very determined this year and are stronger as a whole,” Geraci said.

Other aspects have also changed since last year, including Pink Panther coach Lisa Dallas’ management of the team.

“It has been a lot more strict since last year, (coach Dallas) is very organized with how she runs the team and has it under control,” Geraci said.

The Pink Panthers also have a lot to look forward to this year.

“I am so excited for our pep rally demo routine with the cheerleaders along with dancing with the football players and changing it up from pom routines to lyrical jazz routines for basketball season,” Pierce said.

Both Geraci and Chiligiris also shared aspects they are looking forward to.

“I am excited to see all the support that we get at games and we are hoping to create a stronger bond with the team and just be the best that we can be,” Chiligiris said.

Giraci likes the idea of school spirit that comes with being a part of the Pink Panthers.

“I’m looking forward to performing at games and after this year I will love to say that I have been to every football and basketball game for the past four years,” Geraci said.

The Pink Panthers differ from the EIU Dancers.

“I was on EIU Dancers for two years and they are more involved in studio dancing and ballet, whereas the Pink Panthers are more involved in performance and pom routines. Also, there is a huge difference in time commitment,” Pierce said.

The Pink Panthers have a lot on their plate this year and will be present at every football and basketball game along with other special events such as nationals, the dance with the football team and later the soccer team, and also the dance with the ROTC.

“There is a much longer time commitment in the Pink Panthers, we practice everyday for two hours and frequently have double practices,” Geraci said.

Rachel Rodgers can be reached at 581-7943 or [email protected].

Promising start for Pink Panthers season

Kiki Chiligiris a sophomore pre-business management major practices with the rest of the Pink Panthers Dance Team Friday afternoon at the Panther Marching Band’s practice field. (Audrey Sawyer