Lack of focus costs Panther’s the win

The Eastern women’s soccer team returned to Lakeside Field this weekend to face Belmont and Missouri-Kansas City.

The Panthers came out with a mission to get back in the win column on Friday, and they did not disappoint.

Eastern head coach Summer Perala’s squad had been winless in each of their last four games prior to Friday’s victory over Belmont.

The Panthers came out with energy and battled with the Bruins for a full 90 minutes. Perala said she has stressed the importance of being mentally and physically tough for a full match, and her squad did exactly that.

Junior midfielder Kristin Germann was the hero for the Panthers as she nailed the game-winning penalty kick with 12 seconds remaining in regulation.

“I had 100 percent confidence in KG and had no doubt she would make it,” Perala said.

Germann is no stranger to game-winning goals this season as she delivered the golden goal against the Evansville Aces in overtime Aug. 22 at Lakeside Field.

“I was ready to shoot and felt like it was the perfect opportunity,” Germann said. “Having already attempted a penalty kick this season, I knew exactly were I wanted to put it.”

Germann has been suffering through an injury in her non-shooting leg that has limited her playing time over the past couple weeks.

Friday, Perala said she was happy with her team’s intensity.

“This was the first game this year that we had start-to-finish intensity,” Perala said. “The team showed good composure on the way to a great win.”

The Panthers outshot the Bruins 11-5 on the way to the 1-0 victory.

Germann’s game-winning goal was the third time this season that the Panthers’ fate has been decided in the last minute of regulation or in overtime.

On Sunday, the Panthers welcomed Missouri-Kansas City to Lakeside Field.

The Panthers dominated every aspect of the game, but were not able to get the ball past UMKC goalkeeper Jami Finnell.

Finell stifled the Panther offense, making 10 saves enroute to her first shutout in 2010. The Panthers outshot the Kangaroos 17-6, but could not capitalize on a single scoring opportunity.

Sophomore forward Ashley Streid lead the way for the Panthers with three shots on goal.

Eastern attempted nine corner kicks compared to just one from Missouri-Kansas City. The Panthers may have dominated play Sunday, but UMKC sophomore midfielder Amanda Casalinuovo found the back of the net in minute 56 for the ‘Roos, which turned out to be the game-winning goal.

Missouri-Kansas City defeated the Eastern 1-0.

“We had a lack of focus on their scoring play and were either too lazy, or too tired to defend,” Perala said. “We must pay attention to details if we expect to win the game. We were shown up and embarrassed on our home field today.”

Senior goalkeeper Kaylin Lorbert also noticed her team lacking focus on the field.

“It was a lack of focus and a player was unmarked which lead to the goal,” Lorbert said.

In the post-game huddle, multiple players were voicing their frustration following the loss.

Perala said she and her squad know the importance of putting back-to-back games together if they plan on having a winning record in 2010.

“The Ohio Valley Conference tournament is a three-game run to the championship, and if we can’t put together a run of good games we won’t reach our season goal,” Perala said.

The Panthers will be back in action this weekend, as they hit the road to face the Miami Redhawks in Oxford, Ohio, and the Western Illinois Leathernecks in Macomb, Ill.

Jordan Pottorff can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected]

Lack of focus costs Panther’s the win

Lack+of+focus+costs+Panthers+the+win+

Junior middle fielder Jessica Blake takes the ball up field during the game Friday afternoon against Belmont. The Panthers beat Belmont 1-0. (Audrey Sawyer