Not an ideal start

The Eastern men’s soccer team did not get off to the start that they would have liked, losing both games they played this weekend.

The first loss was a close game against the University of Kentucky. The Panthers fell behind 1-0, early, and they were never able to catch up despite out-shooting the Wildcats 12-7.

The final score came out as 1-0, and Kentucky narrowly won.

The second game of the UK Invitational was not as close. In the team’s first ever meeting with North Carolina-Asheville, the Panthers fell behind 3-0 and again struggled to put the ball in the net.

Another good second half performance from Eastern was wasted, as the score remained 3-0 when the buzzer sounded.

However, the team has a chance to even out their record with their next two opponents Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne and Western Illinois. Eastern has a combined record of 38-12-5 against the two teams.

If the Panthers can perform at the level they did in the second halves of both games over the weekend, they will have a chance at getting back to .500 with still three more games left in their non-conference schedule.

Scoring becoming

big concern

Eastern has been a solid team defensively since the preseason began. Since the Panthers began playing competitive games Aug. 18 they have only given up 10 goals in six games.

The only time they gave up more than two was Sunday against UNC Asheville when they gave up three.

The main concern that the Panthers have is putting the ball in the back of net. In those six games they have only scored four goals.

Last season Eastern was last in overall scoring in the Missouri Valley Conference with 19 goals all season.

Drake, who won the MVC tournament title last year, scored 52 goals over the course of the 2009 season. They outscored the next highest team in the MVC, Evansville, by 18 goals.

Around the MVC

The regular season kicked of last week and the teams from the MVC did not fare well.

The combined opening week record of MVC teams was 7-9-1 and only two teams came out of the weekend without a loss, Bradley and Creighton.

The 2-0 start boosts Creighton up to No. 24 in the nation. With Drake opening up 1-1 they fell eight spots to No. 22. The only other team in the MVC to receive votes was Evansville.

Three teams did not record a win in the opening week. They were Eastern, Central Arkansas and Missouri St.

Rob Mortell can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected]

Not an ideal start

Not an ideal start

Sophomore defender/midfielder Ryan Warren and Green Bay’s freshman midfielder Lawrence fight to get the ball before it hits the ground Aug. 28 at Lakeside Field. (Danny Damiani