1 percent increase approved

The Board of Trustees approved labor agreements for both Teamsters Local #26 union and Painters District Council #58 at the meeting on Sept. 3 in the University Ballroom.

With the Board’s approval, both the Teamsters and the Painters District Council received one percent wage increases across the board.

The estimated costs for the Teamsters increases are $5,949 for this year and $6,084 for 2011. For the Painters District Council increases, the estimated costs for this year and next respectfully is $11,019.

Both Athletic Director Barbara Burke and Cynthia Nichols, Director of the Office of Civil Rights and Diversity, spoke to the board on the responsibilities for intercollegiate athletics.

Burke highlighted the university’s reaccredidation process for the National Collegiate Athletic Association. Since September of last year, the athletic department has been preparing for their review.

Nichols gave her annual report on Title IX compliance. The purpose of this article is to ensure the effective accommodation to the athletic interests and abilities of students for both sexes.

“Eastern has committed itself to effectively accommodating female students,” said Nichols.

Board Chairperson Leo Welch gave his report focusing on analyzing spending patterns of education-related experiences for the university.

Welch said funding policy in Illinois is not tied to the goal of the public agenda.

He also said he wants to find out how Illinois ranks in regards to spending patterns as they do in other states.

“The amount of money available from the state of Illinois is not exactly plush at this time,” said Welch.

The re-accreditation of Tarble Arts Center by the Board was the primary focus of President William Perry’s report to the board. Michael Watts, director of the Tarble Arts Center, answered questions on the matter.

In order to be re-accredited, the Center needs to be evaluated as an integral and lasting part of the university. Of more than 17,000 museums nationwide, less than 800 have received accreditation through the American Association of Museums.

One event that the Board is preparing for is the EIU Campaign that is being launched in October. The Alumni Association has raised $312,108, an increase over last year.

For the campaign, over $34 million has been pledged and $11 million in planned gift funds.

Michelle Murphy, student body president, updated the board on the status of Panther Nation.

With its new structuring this year, Panther Nation had over 300 students sign up during its premiere event, said Murphy.

Shelley Holmgren can be reached at 581-7142 or

[email protected].

1 percent increase approved

1 percent increase approved

President Perry speaks during the Board of Trustees meeting Friday in the Martin Luther King Jr. Union’s Grand Ballroom. (Shelley Holmgren/ The Daily Eastern News)