Taste of Campus

It is sophomore year.

After spending freshman year in the dorms, it is about time to get the ultimate dose of freedom.

Sure, freshman year was fun.

Home was far behind and parents were finally out of the picture.

But when students are out of the residence halls and have their own apartment, things will begin to change.

While living off-campus is a great experience for any college student, it is important for students not to get carried away.

Living off-campus is not a free for all. It is important for students not to abuse their freedom.

Because most students who get apartments do not live as close to campus as they did when they were freshmen, it is easier for them to skip classes.

Because no one is strolling the halls making sure students are not out of control, it is easier to drink during the week.

This is not the attitude students should have or even think about.

Students are here to get an education.

If they have free time and want to have a few drinks, they should, but they should not let it interfere with schoolwork.

Students every year sign leases for houses and apartments, but when the end of the year comes, a bill often arrives in the mail with fines.

The hole in the wall from the second week of school, the refrigerator that never got around to being cleaned and even the bag of trash that was not taken out are all mistakes students should have never made.

These all amount to fines students will be forced to pay.

Some students think because they are only in the house for a small number of months, they would not treat it the same way they would treat their residence at home.

This is not the attitude anyone should have.

Throwing a huge party may be fun, but that makes students a target for police officers and piles of tickets.

Playing music at 1 a.m. with your double sub woofers may seem like a good idea, but students need to remember they still have neighbors.

The new freedoms that come with being an apartment renter are a good thing and can help students become more responsible.

If students are to embrace these freedoms, they need to remember to do so in moderation.

While living off-campus allows students new freedoms, they must remember to respect their new residence even though they will only be living there a short time.

It is also important to remember that new found freedom allows many more distractions than students encountered when they lived in the dorms.

Students should remember the real reason why they are here: to get an education.

Taste of Campus

Taste of Campus

Sophomore math major with a teacher’s certification, Jon Schaeffer, wipes down his ball during the Sigma Alpha Epsilon free bowling and pizza night Monday in the Martin Luther King Jr. Bowling Lanes. (Danny Damiani/The Daily Eastern News)

Taste of Campus

Taste+of+Campus+

Joe Amato, a senior vocal music education major, performs “We Beseech Thee” from the musical Godspell during auditions for fall productions on Monday in the theatre located in the Doudna Fine Arts Center. Amato and others were required to perform two mono

Taste of Campus

Taste+of+Campus+

Chetel V. Jordan, senior public relations major, takes a turn in the cash cube Monday at University Board recruitment at the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union, going on to win a free t-shirt. (Kim Foster/The Daily Eastern News)

Taste of Campus

Taste+of+Campus+

Students from the urban Prep Charter Academy in Chicago wait outside Booth Library Monday before a tour of the campus. (Kim Foster/ The Daily Eastern News)