New rugby players mix with new plays

Women’s rugby coach, Frank Graziano, is bringing in one of the biggest recruiting class this fall.

“The recruiting class is not only large, but talented,” he said.

Graziano said there will be roughly 10 new girls this fall. He said he had hoped to bring at least eight to 10 girls, but he wasn’t expecting to be able to get 10.

“I am very fortunate to have gotten as many great recruits as I did,” Graziano said.

He is also bringing back a former Eastern player. Sarah Sremaniak came to Eastern in the fall of 2008, but only stayed for one year before transferring to Northern Illinois. Sremaniak is back on the Panther’s team this year.

Graziano said he is really excited about his recruit from Georgia, Emily Chosewood. Chosewood will be playing on the rugby team, as well as the track team. This is Graziano’s first recruit from Georgia.

Another recruit coming in is Shelby Musselman from Indiana. Graziano said Musselman has been coming to Eastern camps since she was 14.

“She has a great opportunity to be a starter and big contributor this year,” Graziano said.

Plainfield native Cara Hahne will also be joining to Panther rugby team. Hahne is also coming for track and field.

Graziano said he has 15 returners from last year. This year he will have a roster of 25. The rugby team only lost five players from last year.

Returning to the Panther’s team is last year’s MVP junior Narissa Ramirez.

“Hopefully Narissa will continue to develop and lead as one of our top players,” Graziano said.

Senior Courtney McKinney is returning as well. Graziano said he hopes to have another fantastic season out of McKinney.

“I’m expecting big things out of her,” he said.

Graziano said his goal this year is the same goal he has every year.

“I tell the girls to take it week by week, and day by day,” Graziano said. “We strive to win every single game we play.”

The big thing Graziano wants to happen this year is to mesh the incoming recruiting class with last year’s recruiting class as far as team chemistry and talent.

“They will be the ones to carry the load together for the next three years,” Graziano said.

Graziano said he has been working on the playbook all summer, so the upcoming camp will give the team a chance to see if they can execute the new plays.

The camp is also a time for the new players to gain rugby experience. Most of the players that come to Eastern are multiple sport athletes with little or no rugby experience.

Graziano said he looks for recruits by watching girl’s basketball players, track and field, and other multiple sport athletes.

The rugby team starts their preseason camp Aug. 14, just three weeks before the first game.

The rugby team has a quick learning curve since they come back from summer with only three weeks to practice and learn the plays before the first game.

Rugby will open their season on Sept. 1 and play until mid-November.

Abby Allgire can be reached at 581-7942 or at [email protected].

New rugby players mix with new plays

New rugby players mix with new plays

Narissa Ramirez (left), is shown during a rugby game in September 2009. Ramierz will be returning to the women’s rugby team this upcoming season. (File Photo/The Daily Eastern News)