Lincoln Log Cabin attracts many tourists

At the Lincoln Log Cabin Historical Site, the year 1845 is captured in time.

Tourists are able to see and feel firsthand what life was like in rural Illinois on the Lincoln family farm.

The sounds of sheep, chickens and discussions between Abraham Lincoln’s closest family members fill the air.

Tourists can talk with Lincoln family interpreters and receive a history lesson that far exceeds a textbook at the historical site located at 402 South Lincoln Hwy Rd., Lerna.

Miranda Bond, a tourist from St. Louis, said she engaged in a conversation with Abraham Lincoln’s father, Thomas Lincoln.

Bond said she asked Thomas for directions to the nearest gas station, but laughed when Lincoln said the nearest town would be hours away by horse and buggy.

Foster Rhinefort, a volunteer at the Lincoln Log Cabin, said the Lincoln interpreters cook over an open fire, grow crops and manage livestock.

He said not only is the time period interpreted accurately, but also the location is accurate as well.

Susie Colgrove, president of the volunteer pioneers at the historical site, said this is the original farm of Thomas Lincoln. “He owned 120 acres and farmed 40 of them,” she said.

She said live interpretation is not the only attraction offered at the historical site.

Colgrove said a gift shop, an exhibit and a docket full of events keep the site bustling with tourists.

“We have many, many events containing folk songs, concerts, soap making, and antiques. The exhibit is a combination activity of Eastern Illinois and the historic site,” she said.

Colgrove said each year tourists flock to the site to gain insight about the culture of 19th century rural Illinois.

“We have visitors from all across the country and the world. We have seen people from all across the continent,” she said.

Colgrove said the goal of the site is to preserve not only its heritage here in Coles County but it’s also to show Abraham Lincoln’s roots.

“In future years someone is going to look back and try to reenact 2010 and where we were then,” she said.

Charles Le Grand can be reached at 581-7942 or at [email protected].

Lincoln Log Cabin attracts many tourists

Susie Colgoluve, President of Volunteer Pioneers, prepares to weave string that once belonged to Mrs. Sargent on Wednesday afternoon at the Lincoln Historic site in Charleston, IL. This weave will be raffled off in October during the fall celebration. (J