Students head to the library for finals week

All the hard work of the semester is finally over, however; finals can still determine many students’ grades.

Finals are just around the corner, and for most students, this is a time of extreme stress.

“I’m most worried for my math final because I’m not really good at math,” said Stefanie Mahan, a freshman communication studies major. “I write out flashcards to help me study.”

For some students, the stress can just be finding the motivation to study.

“Senioritis has massively kicked in,” said Christina Crowley, a senior communication studies major. “I’m just ready to be done and get on with the rest of my life.”

Many students flock to Booth library during finals week to get in some quality study time. For those students looking for a calm place to study, the second floor of the library is their best bet, because it is a designated quiet area. The library has also extended hours Saturday until 9 p.m. rather than 5 p.m.

There are also many alternative study areas.

“I like going to Starbucks or Jackson Avenue (Coffeehouse),” Crowley said. “I can’t stand the library, it’s too quiet. Plus I take breaks to enjoy the coffee.”

The dorms are another great option for study areas.

“During finals week we have extensive quiet hours,” said Katie Kubski, a junior special education major and senior staff assistant for Pemberton Hall and the Triad. “The lobby areas tend to fill up more with people that are trying to study.”

Students who need some extra help preparing for finals can also look to the Student Success Center.

“Many students get stressed because there are so many exams at one time, but they should have hope and rely on the effort they have put in throughout the semester,” said Student Success Specialist Taisha Mikell.

“We’re here and always willing to see students.”

The SSC also encourages students to take

advantage of moving their finals if they have too many on one day.

“Students should map out what days they have exams, and then based on that sequence start studying in that order,” Mikell said.

Between the long hours of cramming for tests, students should also take time to de-stress.

“A lot of the halls do exam snacks where

residents can take a break from studying and get a snack,” Kubski said.

Students are also preparing to go home for the summer, so they should enjoy the last week with their friends.

“Do some things that are going to be fun,” Mikell said. “Spend some time with your college friends before leaving for the summer, but keep that in balance with studying.”

Kate Kelleher can be reached

at 581-7942 or

Students+head+to+the+library+for+finals+week+

Freshman sociology major Kate Kresach studies for her jazz and rock final Thursday afternoon on the fourth floor of the Booth Library. (Audrey Sawyer / The Daily Eastern News)