Rain places burden on home series

Coming into the weekend, the Eastern softball team was pumped to play a three-game series against Austin Peay. However, all didn’t go as planned.

The Panthers (21-23, 11-8 in the Ohio Valley Conference) and Governors (15-31, 7-12 OVC) only got two games in, with the second game of Saturday’s doubleheader having to be finished Sunday.

The doubleheader was originally scheduled for 1 p.m. Saturday but was moved up to 11 a.m. with rain in the forecast.

So, the Panthers got the first game in, winning 7-0, as junior third baseman Kiley Holtz was big at the bat for the Panthers.

But the second game went to the top of the eighth inning before it had to be postponed to restart on Sunday. The two teams finished up the second game Sunday, with Austin Peay winning 5-3. However, with more rain, the rubber game of the series was canceled after the completion of the second game on Sunday.

Holtz has huge series opener

Holtz dominated freshman pitcher Morgan Brewer and senior pitcher Abby Mabry in game one of Saturday’s doubleheader.

As Eastern won 7-0, Holtz was 2-for-3 with six RBIs for the Panthers. Four of Holtz’s RBIs came on a grand slam, which was the Panthers’ first this season.

Holtz has dominated Austin Peay before, too. Last season she was 5-for-12 with two RBIs in three games against the Governors. In the first game of a May 2, 2009 doubleheader, Holtz was 3-for-5.

For Holtz’s efforts this weekend, the junior third baseman was named OVC Player of the Week. The award is the third of her career.

May has up and down weekend

In the first game of Saturday’s doubleheader, junior pitcher Amber May didn’t need any help on the mound, throwing a complete game, only giving up one hit.

In the doubleheader’s second game, May struggled as she entered the game in relief of freshman pitcher Natalie Wunderlich.

May pitched five innings, gave up seven hits, five runs and one walk.

Skyhawks continue dominance

The Tennessee Martin Skyhawks (37-9, 16-3 OVC) are continuing its dominance of the OVC.

This weekend, the Skyhawks played a doubleheader against Tennessee State on Sunday, routing Tigers by scores of 7-0 and 9-0.

The Skyhawks have a 2.5 game lead over the Morehead State Eagles (25-19, 14-6 OVC), who lost its weekend series 2-1 against Tennessee Tech, despite winning the series opener.

In winning its weekend series, Tennessee Martin broke its program’s home run record, hitting its 56th bomb against Tennessee State.

OVC standings don’t see change up top

Going into the weekend, the Panthers were in fourth place in the OVC and they remain there, after they split their weekend series against Austin Peay.

Jacksonville State (23-16, 10-6) is one game ahead of the Panthers, while Morehead State is in second and Tennessee Martin in first.

The Panthers can try to gain some ground on the three teams in front of them this weekend as they don’t have any mid-week games this week, so they’ll be preparing for Tennessee State all week.

The series will begin Saturday in Nashville, Tenn. Game one of the Saturday doubleheader is set to begin at noon. The series will conclude Sunday with one game at noon.

Alex McNamee can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected].

Rain places burden on home series

Rain places burden on home series

Freshman Natalie Wunderlich pitches against Austin Peay Saturday afternoon at Williams Field.(Chelsea Grady/The Daily Eastern News)