59th Annual Greek Sing brings tough competition

Alpha Phi took a trip across America, Alpha Sigma Alpha performed an iPod Shuffle and Phi Kappa Theta serenaded the crowd with “Feliz Navidad” at the 59th Annual Greek Sing Sunday.

For the first time in the history of the event, there were multiple ties, with Beta Theta Pi and Lambda Chi Alpha both finishing in first place for the fraternities.

Beta Theta Pi performed songs from the film “The Hangover” while wearing tiger ears and tails, and Lambda Chi Alpha performed “Dance to the Music.”

First place for sororities was awarded to Delta Delta Delta for their performance, “Delta Candy Shop,” featuring the songs “Lollipop” and “I Want Candy.”

Second place for the fraternities also resulted in a tie between Sigma Phi Epsilon, who performed songs by Elton John, and Sigma Nu for their performance, “The Soundtrack to Our Lives.”

Robyn Carr, the interim director of fraternity and sorority programs, said the results show just how competitive the event was this year.

Christine Ozier, an adviser for Alpha Gamma Delta sorority, said that all the chapters gave good performances.

“It was awesome,” Ozier said. “It was a close decision with the guys, but everyone was great.”

Stacey Jaksa, a Greek Week adviser, said that the event shows how Greeks come together.

“It’s good to show everyone what the Greek community is like at Eastern and how it all comes together,” Jaksa said.

In her opening speech, Carr said the Greeks worked for more than five months to organize the events of Greek Week and spent many hours practicing and preparing for Greek Sing, in addition to their other responsibilities.

The Greeks also provide their services to various charities such as the Make-A-Wish Foundation and March of Dimes.

Their fundraising efforts for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital are expected to raise more than $20,000.

Carr said that she likes to see how Greek Sing unifies different chapters.

“It gives the chapters an opportunity to come together,” Carr said. “It’s nice to see them pay tribute to the connection all of them share. I really enjoy seeing everyone perform.”

Greek Sing ratings

Fraternity Rankings

1st Place – Beta Theta Pi and Lambda Chi Alpha

2nd Place – Sigma Phi Epsilon and Sigma Nu

3rd Place – Sigma Alpha Epsilon

Sorority Rankings

1st Place – Delta Delta Delta

2nd Place – Alpha Gamma Delta

3rd Place – Sigma Sigma Sigma

4th Place – Kappa Delta

Emily Reid can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected].

59th Annual Greek Sing brings tough competition

Members of Lambda Chi Alpha perform Dance to the Music during Sunday afternoons Greek Sing competition in Lantz Arena. Lambda Chi tied with Beta Theta Pi for first place. (Audrey Sawyer/The Daily Eastern News)