Column: Pitching staff improving every day

While it’s common in softball for teams to ride their best pitcher to a championship, it can’t hurt to have a deep rotation of three pitchers.

This past week, Eastern started showing potential for a three-arm rotation with junior ace Amber May as its workhorse and freshman pitchers Natalie Wunderlich and Hailie Ray as interchangeable two and threes in the rotation.

Coming into the season, there was no question May would be the Panthers’ ringmaster in the pitchers circle, but there were questions as to who Eastern would have to relieve her.

Early on, freshman pitcher Wunderlich stepped into the No. 2 slot as a solid backup for May; however, Wunderlich has struggled lately, freeing up space for Eastern head coach Kim Schuette to test Ray’s arm.

Against Saint Louis, Ray stepped into a tight situation with the Panthers trailing 4-0 after Wunderlich had surrendered four runs in 1 2/3 innings.

However, Ray showed she could win in the pitchers circle, throwing 5 1/3 innings of scoreless, two-hit pitching.

With Ray starring on the mound, the Eastern offense scored six unanswered runs to steal a win in the second game of the road doubleheader.

Two days later, the Panthers played a doubleheader against Butler. This time, Ray started and Wunderlich relieved.

The tide was turned as Ray pitched 3 1/3 innings, giving up three runs on seven hits. So, Schuette called on Wunderlich to minimize the damage. And she did a good job.

Although Eastern lost to Butler 4-0, Wunderlich pitched 2 2/3 innings, only giving up one more run on the scoreboard.

While both freshmen showed potential in the Panthers’ mid-week contests, they were rattled against Eastern Kentucky.

Wunderlich pitched 1 2/3 innings, having started Saturday’s second contest, but was relieved with two outs in the second after surrendering four runs on four hits.

So Schuette threw Ray into a jam, hoping the freshman would create some magic like she did against Saint Louis.

Ray held the Colonels to one run but didn’t register an out before May was rushed in to halt the Colonels’ rally.

To this seasonal juncture, the two freshman pitchers have made 29 appearances, to 26 from May; however, Wunderlich and Ray have a .500 record between them.

Although Wunderlich has been in a bit of a funk over the past 10 days, Ray has stepped in and shown she is a capable pitcher in tight situations.

While both pitchers still have significant room to grow, Schuette, May and the team can sleep happily knowing they have the potential to have not just two, but three capable pitchers in their rotation.

This season, the top four teams have at least two pitchers who can go any given day. If the Panthers’ young pitchers keep progressing, Eastern might have a leg up on the competition, with an ability to throw three pitchers any day.

Alex McNamee can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected].

Column: Pitching staff improving every day

David Monge, a sophomore finance major from Mokena (right), and Danny Conrad, a freshman undecided major from Downers Grove (center), look over the food during the “Taste of the World” in the South Quad Tuesday afternoon.(Danny Damiani/The Daily Eastern N