Habitat for Humanity builds 23rd home

Volunteers are needed on Saturday, July 25 from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m., as Habitat for Humanity builds its 23rd home in Coles County on the corner of 11th and Vine in Charleston.

People can volunteer all day and receive a free lunch, or they can chose to work a four-hour morning or afternoon shift.

“All help is great and no experience is needed,” said Rachel Fisher, interim director of student community services.

Volunteers may also come and go throughout the day, even if it is just for an hour.

“A great deal of work has been completed and I anticipate great work being completed this weekend,” said Fisher.

Currently, most of the house and the siding is completed, and the shed is finished.

Chris Sims, volunteer coordinator, said they will mainly be working in the kitchen and installing cabinets.

However, they will also be working on the landscape of the house.

“We have been working on this house most of the summer and it is thrilling to see how far we have come,” said Fisher.

“We think August 16 the house will be finished,” said Sims.

The house will go to Angie and Delmas Tryon and their three children when finished.

The family selected the site from a number of locations owned by Habitat for Humanity.

Habitat for Humanity then provides an affordable mortgage to the family with no interest.

“No one has ever foreclosed through Habitat for Humanity in Coles County,” Sims said.

The families do not have a say in the floor plan.

But, the families are given a budget for other things, which are added to their mortgage.

All the houses through Habitat for Humanity are 1200 feet and their mortgages are around $60,000.

Kaitlyn Peters can be reached at 581-7943 or at [email protected].

Habitat for Humanity builds 23rd home

Habitat for Humanity builds 23rd home

Coles County Habitat for Humanity have transformed homes for 21 years in Charleston and Mattoon. (Cari Wafford/The Daily Eastern)