Stress management workshop offered to university employees

Eastern Illinois University is hosting the Time and Stress Management Workshop on July 28, in the Effingham room at MLK Jr. Union from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.

Pam Schnake, president of the Experiential Learning Services out of Decatur, will be hosting the workshop.

The workshop is open to all university employees, and seats can be reserved by calling Julie Benedict, training and development Specialist, at 581-8415.

Benedict said 15 seats are currently reserved, but the Effingham room can hold around 30 people.

Benedict said the meeting helps the employees deal with the stressors that may be related to their job.

“The workshop provides tools and ideas to cope with that stress,” Benedict said.

Schnake said the workshop will focus on identifying many of the stressors that affect workers and providing different tips and techniques to reduce the stress.

“Once you identify the stressors, you can develop strategies to help deal with the stress,” said Schnake.

One tip is to stay healthy by getting plenty of sleep, eating properly and stretching.

Schnake said many people struggle with organization because it is difficult for them to perform their job when they can’t manage their time or are constantly interrupted.

Workers can better use their time through restructuring their schedule, clearing excess time and setting goals.

“Don’t worry about things you can’t influence, instead worry about things you can control,” said Schnake.

Schnake’s company, ELS, provides different kinds of training for corporations. They provide corporate training, as well as sessions on team building, resolving conflicts in the work place and they help structure meetings.

Schnake has worked with the Human Resource department at Eastern Illinois University for the last five years by hosting workshops like the Time and Stress Management.

Kaitlyn Peters can be reached at 581-7943 or at [email protected].

Stress management workshop offered to university employees

Whether it be the imminent fear of layoffs or an exceeding pressure to perform, many find it hard to cope with challenges on the job. (Photo illustration by Cari Wafford)