Cartoon Editorial: Kevin Jonas engaged

If Dan Nadler had stuck to his original major in college, he’d be in the sky.

Attending Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, Nadler wanted to become a commercial airline pilot, but because of the high costs of flying lessons, he began to rethink the decision.

Instead, he wound up with a Ph.D. in higher education. And now, for the past four years, he has filled the role of Vice President for Student Affairs at Eastern.

“My favorite part of the job is working closely with students,” Nadler said. “It is especially rewarding to see students grow-academically, personally and professionally.”

As Vice President for Student Affairs, Nadler’s job holds a lot of responsibility and leadership roles. His position requires him to be involved with campus recreation, textbook rental, housing and dining services, new student programs, career services and much more.

“The position is both very challenging and rewarding,” Nadler said. “Difficulties can arise when students are in crisis. However, I am very proud of the proactive work taking place at the university.”

Before coming to Eastern, Nadler stayed close to his alma mater, filling roles such as the Director of Orientation and Family Programs, Assistant Director of Student Life and Adjunct Assistant Professor of Higher Education and Student Personnel. He also met his wife, Kathy, while he was working at Southern.

He moved to New Orleans in 1993, and worked at Tulane University as an instructor in liberal arts, and then Associate Vice President for Student Affairs.

Now that he is at Eastern, Nadler doesn’t plan to leave until he retires. He said he really enjoys his job and working with students, faculty and staff, and even the community.

“We have developed a great partnership between the University and Charleston,” Nadler said. “I have no other plans beyond helping Eastern become the best in the country.”

Nadler said when he was in college, one of the most important lessons he learned was that everything can offer an opportunity to grow and develop.

“Education is a journey,” he said. “We must be willing to place ourselves in unfamiliar environments and uncomfortable situations.”

Sam Sottosanto can be reached at 581-7943 or at [email protected].

Cartoon Editorial: Kevin Jonas engaged

Cartoon+Editorial%3A+Kevin+Jonas+engaged+

Jeff Jurinek