Drawn from the News

The spirit of the prairie will be in full force in Bement, Ill., this weekend.

Sponsored by the Bement Area Chamber of Commerce, the second Old Glory Days of Lincoln and Douglas Festival will be taking place on Saturday, June 13.

“It’s an exciting day about our American Heritage,” said Tabitha Elder, chair of the organizing committee for the festival.

Many of the events will take place at the historic Bryant Cottage. Senator Stephen A. Douglas and future president Abraham Lincoln met in the cottage’s parlor on July 29, 1858 to finalize the details of the now famous Lincoln-Douglas debates held around Illinois, according to Bement historians.

The activities, which are decidedly prairie-themed, include “Needle in the Haystack” and “Log Rolling.”

There are free events planned for the entire day, starting with a 5K (three mile) walk/run, which begins at 8 a.m. Other events planned for the day include live music played by various groups, including the Bement Community Band and the Tons ‘O Fun Band. There will also be a classic car show.

There will be a flag raising ceremony at noon, going along with a concert of patriotic music performed by the Bement Community Band.

The focus will switch to contests for adults in the afternoon. They include a hot wing eating contest, a pie eating contest and craftsman challenges, consisting of a hand saw competition, a keyhole saw competition and a hand drill competition.

“We will not be using any power tools,” Ayers said. “Those will all be hand tools.”

The Bement Lions Club’s 55th Annual Chicken Fry will be held on Saturday. This event is held on the second Saturday of each June at the Forest Preserve Park. It is being held from 4:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Spenser Nobles can be reached at [email protected] or 581-7942.

Drawn from the News

Drawn+from+the+News+

Sam Strykowski/The Daily Eastern News