Financial aid advisor always happy to help

One of the most challenging things for a college student to figure out and have patience for is their financial aid.

Everyone is grateful when the money comes through, but trying to fill out the paperwork and forms can seem endlessly draining. Luckily there are people out there to help students and parents.

Cindy Starwalt is a financial aid advisor. She can be found in the financial aid office in the Student Services Building.

“Basically, I advise students and their parents on their completion of their FASFA federal application and that whole process,” Starwalt said.

Starwalt began working at Eastern 14 years ago, when she started in the business office.

After one year, she was offered a promotion to move to the financial aid office.

While doing all of this work, she was more than a regular full-time employee – she was also a student working to receive her bachelor’s degree.

“Sometimes it was kind of rough, but I don’t have any kids, and when I think about all of the people who are trying to go back to school, hold a full time job and raise a family it made it easier to get through my college,” Starwalt said.

Starwalt said she received her bachelor’s degree in 2005.

Though she appreciates the opportunities to help people, sometimes working in the financial aid office is harder than people would think.

“Sometimes it can be a little hectic in here, and when I can’t help a student is when it becomes frustrating,” Starwalt said. “But I enjoy being able to help people and sometimes being able to relieve some of their frustrations.”

Kayleigh Zyskowski can be reached at 581-7943 or at [email protected].

Financial aid advisor always happy to help

Cindy Starwalk, the campus worker of the week, works in the Financial Aid Office as an advisor. The Office of Financial Aid can be found in the east wing of the Student Services Building. (Joe McCue/The Daily Eastern News)