Baseball: Drafted Panthers sign with MLB teams

All three Eastern players drafted in last week’s Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft have signed with their new ballclubs, and are in the process of being assigned to minor-league teams.

Junior pitcher Tyler Kehrer was selected 48th overall by the L.A. Angels of Anaheim in Compensation Round A. As expected, the southpaw signed with the Angels, choosing to wave his remaining year of NCAA eligibility and effectively ending his career at Eastern. He is expected to begin play in the Rookie League with the Orem Owlz of the Pioneer League, based in Orem, Utah.

Senior Brett Nommensen was picked by the Tampa Bay Rays in the eighth round, and has since signed with the club. The Rays have not yet determined Nommensen’s first assignment; according to the team’s website, the outfielder could expect to begin play with either Port Charlotte of the Gulf Coast League, the Princeton Rays of the Appalachian League or the Hudson Valley Renegades of the New York-Penn League.

Shortstop Jordan Kreke was selected in the 13th round by the Atlanta Braves. After recently signing with the Braves, Kreke is expected to begin his minor-league career with the Appalachian League’s Danville Braves in Danville, Va.

Baseball: Drafted Panthers sign with MLB teams

Senior Jordan Kreke has signed with the Atlanta Braves after being drafted in the 13th round of the MLB First-Year Player Draft June 9. (file photo)