Baseball: Panthers secure grasp of first place

Two comeback victories highlighted a rain-shortened weekend as the Eastern baseball team secured its hold on first place in the Ohio Valley Conference with a sweep of Southeast Missouri in Cape Girardeau, Mo.

The Panthers won both ends of Saturday’s doubleheader 8-7 before Sunday’s game was canceled because of rain.

The victories gave the Panthers a commanding lead over the Redhawks in the OVC with two conference series remaining. Eastern sits at 12-3 in the conference and Southeast Missouri fell to 11-6.

“There were a couple of situations (when we were down) where we could have imploded and gotten mad,” Eastern head coach Jim Schmitz said. “There was just a sense in the dugout that we were OK. I don’t know if I’ve been more proud of this team all year.”

In the first game, the Panthers fell behind early as the Redhawks scored four times in the first inning off sophomore right-hander Josh Mueller. Eastern came storming back though, aided by six home runs, including three solo shots in the top of the eighth to give them the lead for good.

Mueller settled down after his shaky start to go six innings, allowing four earned runs on seven hits. He retired 10 straight batters from the third to sixth inning, and both of his two walks came in the four-run first.

Eastern junior Richie Derbak (6-2) picked up the win in the first game.

The seven-inning second game started similarly to the first, with the Redhawks jumping out to a 4-0 lead against Eastern sophomore right-hander Mike Recchia. Again, the Panthers came back as they were able to give Recchia his eighth victory.

“They (Mueller and Recchia) both got off to a rough start,” Schmitz said. “They were making pitches up in the zone, and we just told them there was nothing they can do but go back out there, and they got some big outs.”

The Panthers return to the road this weekend to play Austin Peay Saturday and Sunday in Clarksville, Tenn.

Baseball Conference Standings

Team / OVC / Overall

E. Illinois / 12-3 / 34-10

SE Missouri / 11-6 / 25-18

Murray State / 9-6 / 28-16

JSU / 10-7 / 27-16

Morehead State / 9-10 / 16-26

E. Kentucky / 7-10 / 24-20

Tennessee Tech / 7-11 / 22-20

Austin Peay / 6-10 / 20-28

Tennessee Martin / 5-13 / 16-27

Collin Whitchurch can be reached at 581-7944 or [email protected].

Baseball: Panthers secure grasp of first place

Senior second baseman Jordan Tokarz runs from first to second base during Eastern’s win over Southern Illinois-Edwardsville on April 26. (Audrey Sawyer/The Daily Eastern News)