MADtv star Aries Spears performs at Eastern

Aries Spears said there is a difference between blacks and whites in horror movies at his comedy show last night.

Spears has appeared in several movies and was a regular on “MADtv” for eight years.

He performed last night in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Spears talked about topics ranging from horror movies, sex, families and did impersonations of famous people.

Spears talked about the lack of “blacks in horror movies.”

Spears said in his act that white people investigate when hearing a funny noise in the woods during a horror movie, but if there were black people in the movie, they would get out quick after hearing a noise.

“It would be more like a (horror) commercial,” he said. “Also, if a black girl falls down, there might not be a chance we would come back for her like the white guys in the movie come back for their girls.”

He impersonated Denzel Washington, as well, and talked about how much he respects Washington as an actor.

Spears then talked about the movie “Heat” and how Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger could not play to perfection the parts that Al Paccino and Robert DeNiro could. He also impersonated the way both Stallone and Schwarzenegger talk.

He mentioned African-American families and how he was scared of his mother growing up.

“I liked the part in the show where he talked about black children being disciplined,” said Corey Henderson, freshman psychology major.

Spears did other impressions throughout the night including Shaquille O’Neal, Michael Jackson and Smigel from “Lord of the Rings.”

He made fun of the way O’Neal talked and the way Jackson sang.

Then he joked about different accents and how English accents are a turn-on for girls, but Middle Eastern accents are not.

Also, he mentioned that if a guy had an English accent, he could get a girl into bed and spoke about different sexual practices among cultures.

“I liked how he talked about the different nationalities when dealing with girls and sex,” said Shannon Cobb, junior communication studies major.

Matt Caponera, University Board comedy coordinator, was glad 700 people came to see the show.

“Students like seeing a bigger-name comedian,” he said. “UB comedy has not really had a bigger-name comedian in a long time.”

In the end of the show he did a rap song where he impersonated Jay-Z, Snoop Dogg, DMX and LL Cool J.

Dominique Sims, senior mathematics major, said this was her favorite part.

Mallory McPhail, senior pre-computer information systems major, also liked the rap impressions.

“His Jay-Z was perfect,” she said.

McPhail was also a part of the opening act.

Andy Luttrell, junior psychology major, called McPhail out and then did an impression of her.

Luttrell opened for Spears because he was the winner of “Last Comic Standing” at Eastern.

Luttrell read several pieces of papers in his act, which said many random thoughts that had been on his mind past days called “Inside Andy’s Mind.

The audience also suggested various people for Luttrell to impersonate, including Jack Nicholson, Sarah Palin and Bill Cosby.

Spears passed out CD’s with some of his work for $20 after the show.

Heather Holm can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected].

MADtv star Aries Spears performs at Eastern

Aries Spears performed in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union Wednesday night. Spears’ stand-up comedy pleased the crowd with his raw humor. Spears was a member of the MADtv cast from 1997 to 2005. (Kelly Crement/The Daily Ea