Moving ahead: Student Body President-elect Michelle Murphy discusses goals, preparation for next school year

Click here to see videos of the officials describing their goals.

With the Student Government elections in the books, the time has come for the executive officials to transition into next year.

No one has a more difficult transition than Student Body President-elect Michelle Murphy, who must become the face of Eastern’s students.

Murphy, a sophomore communications studies major, is preparing for the office and how to achieve her goals.

On receiving 375 votes out of a campus of 12,040, Murphy said the turnout was disappointing but will not let that affect her confidence in serving her constituents.

“It’s sad,” she said. “It’s really, really sad. I would say that I alone talked to at least 700 (students). To think that you could make a difference with this group is not good.

“If the students know how important Student Government is in their lives, like every fee goes through us and affects them.”

Murphy would like to think the low voter turnout was because of the weather and not being able to have a tent in the Library Quad. Last year, 1,058 voted with an outside tent available as a poll.

Despite this possible negative, some of the other executives believe in her abilities.

“She was a strong candidate for the position,” said Eric Wilber, student executive vice president. “(Our party UPS) picked her because she is a good speaker and she has experience in running organizations like EIU Republicans.”

Mark Olendzki, student vice president for student affairs-elect, looked at her as a candidate because of her open-mindedness.

“She never voted to end discussion on a contentious topic because she would silence the voice of 400 students, even if she disagreed with that point,” Olendzki said. “We need that in Student Government.”

Student Body President Levi Bulgar is helping Murphy make contacts in Eastern’s administration and showing her how the position works.

Murphy said she is appreciative of Bulgar’s assistance but can see how she would run things differently by delegating more responsibility to the senators.

“I will never do something that I can’t do in a time-efficient manner,” Murphy said. “I know it is more important to do quality work then squeeze them on my resume. Levi took on a little too much. I would know my limit and want to do things right.”

One goal Murphy has is finding out if the roads that are blocked off throughout campus will be opened because of the campus’ parking shortage.

If they are not used, she wants to go green through campus beautification with trees and pathways. She said she would talk to the administration about the issue.

“One of the main functions of the position is to represent Eastern in the best possible light for students and prospective students,” Murphy said. “There is parking on those roads, but they are blocked off. There is no need for torn up concrete that won’t look good.”

Murphy said she would also work with student organizations and the Greek community in developing RSO profiles to help get new students involved in campus life.

Improving campus spirit is another goal. Murphy said she was a member of the marching band last year, and has connections with the Blue Crew, Pink Panthers and cheerleaders. She hopes to get cooperative communication and planning between the groups to maximize effectiveness.

As a conservative, Murphy plans on being fiscally conservative. Student Government has a budget of $46,092 for fiscal year 2009-2010.

“I’m very fiscally conservative, especially now,” Murphy said. “It’s the only way to go and the best way to stay out of the red.”

Murphy said Olendzki is planning for a LGBT Resource Center to be constructed on campus. Murphy said there is no estimate for the center but she is in support of this because EIU Pride wants the building. She thinks the funding will be all external.

Lobbying for the Renewable Energy Center will also be a part of her goals.

The Renewable Energy Center lobbying will rely strongly on the Greeks.

“They are tradition-rich organizations who care about the university,” Murphy said.

Murphy wants more students involved in lobbying. She said if 5,000 students sign a petition, which would be more effective than 30 senators going to the state legislature.

A bus for students lobbying for the plant might run to Springfield, Murphy said. She hopes additional allocations would fund busing to the capital.

Bob Bajek can be reached at 581-7942 or at [email protected].

Moving ahead: Student Body President-elect Michelle Murphy discusses goals, preparation for next school year

Michelle Murphy, a sophomore communication studies major, was elected student body president during last week’s student elections. Murphy ran for the United Party of Students. (Eric Hiltner/The Daily Eastern News)