EIU Republicans, Democrats debate

The EIU College Democrats and EIU College Republicans both defended issues associated with the upcoming election.

Jacob Griffin, president for the EIU Republicans, said his party believes the presidency under Senator John McCain will help gain Americans confidence in the economy.

“He has proven he has experience and judgment as leader of the free world,” he said.

Chris Kromphardt, president for the EIU Democrats, made it clear whom his party supported.

“We support Barack Obama,” he said.

Student government hosted the debate Tuesday night in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Political science professor John Morris was the moderator.

Morris laid out the “game rules” for the debate. There were two parts to the debate.

The first part consisted of nine prepared questions, and the second contained questions from the audience.

Michelle Murphy, a communication studies and political science major and member of the EIU Republicans, said she was prepared to take on the questions for the republicans.

“These questions are (the) republican platform,” she said.

Murphy said she was born in a small town where her family owned small businesses.

“The republicans take care of small business owners,” she said. “I am financially and socially conservative.”

Murphy respects both sides of the campaign, but feels strong with the stand the republicans have taken.

“My future and past is supported by republican ideas,” she said.

Jeremiah McCarter, a senior political science major and a representative of the EIU Democrats, said it is time for Democrats to make things better.

“They stand for safety of their people while harboring positive relationships with the rest of the world,” he said.

During the debate, topics such as foreign policy, education, energy and taxes were discussed.

On the tax issue, McCarter said nobody likes a proposal on tax increase, but Obama’s plan will help the economy.

“It’s going to boost our economy,” he said. “95 percent of American workers will receive breaks and cuts.”

Jared Hausemann, a political science major and a member of the EIU Republicans, said raising taxes is not a good idea.

“Sen. Obama can put lipstick on welfare checks, and call them tax cuts, but it’s still welfare,” he said.

The issue of health care was brought into discussion.

Murphy said there is no room to test with Obama’s health care plan.

Kromphardt disagreed with Murphy about the issue of Obama’s health care plan being socialist.

Another question discussed was the choices the candidates made for their vice president, Gov. Sarah Palin and Sen. Joe Biden.

Kromphardt said Obama’s choice made a great match.

“Obama picked someone to complement his campaign and someone who would transform it,” he said. “She (Palin) is a pit bull, but Biden is a fighter.”

Erik Tofte, a senior broadcast major and member of the EIU Republicans, said Palin, who was McCain’s choice for vice president, has executive experience unlike Obama and Biden.

He said Palin has eight years of executive experience, which is more than Obama and Biden have combined.

“She works for the voters,” Tofte said.

Kromphardt made a rebuttal to Tofte’s statement.

“John McCain has never held an executive position, so add that to your list,” he said.

Murphy said the debate would help students make informed decisions when choosing a president.

“We want to educate young voters,” she said. “When you vote, you want to be familiar with both sides.”

Jessica Leggin can be reached at 581-7942 or at [email protected].

EIU Republicans, Democrats debate

EIU Republicans, Democrats debate

Christopher Kromphardt, president of the EIU College Democrats, responds to the republican side’s claim that America has no time to deal with “socialist ideas like universal health care” at the Debate ’08 event Tuesday night. (Erin Matheny/The Daily Easte

EIU Republicans, Democrats debate

EIU Republicans, Democrats debate

Michelle Murphy, secretary and historian of the EIU College Republicans, explains why the republicans feel universal health would mean “universal mediocre health care.” (Erin Matheny/The Daily Eastern News)