Aasif Mandvi to give ‘Fake News’ lecture tonight

Aasif Mandvi said he does not like the word fake.

“I hate the word ‘fake,'” he said. “Let’s use the word ‘lettuce.'”

Mandvi, from “The Daily Show with John Stewart,” will give the lecture “Behind the Scenes of the Real Fake News” at 8 p.m. today in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Mandvi said his lecture is not just about the news.

“It’s about following your dreams,” he said. “Whether that’s being a real fake doctor, or a real fake lawyer, or even a real fake bus driver, you will get something out of this.”

Mandvi said it is about real fake dreams and how to make them really come true in a fake way.

Ryan Kerch, movies coordinator for University Board, said UB planned for this event last semester.

“UB tries to prepare lectures ahead,” he said.

Kerch said the organization thought about bringing someone from “The Daily Show.”

“A lot of students are fans of the show,” he said. “It was a huge process we stumbled over.”

Kerch said he knew it would work when UB decided to bring Mandvi to campus.

“I knew this would be huge,” he said.

Kerch said students could plan on Mandvi putting sarcasm and satire into his lecture.

“He will probably give some insight of what is going on in politics,” he said. “It will be a good mix of information and entertainment.”

Kerch said Mandvi is like a comedic reporter for “The Daily Show.”

“They actually go out and produce their own segments like a real reporter,” he said. “In one sense, he is a reporter and in another, he is a stand-up comic.”

Kerch said there would also be a table outside of the Grand Ballroom for students to register to vote.

It’s a good opportunity to throw registration in and hopefully people will get inspired to go and register after the lecture,” Kerch said.

Mandvi has also appeared on other television shows such as “ER,” “The Sopranos” and “Law and Order.”

He is also an Obie Award winner for his one-man show, “Sakina’s Restaurant.”

Mandvi said for his lecture he will talk about how he received his job, and share some of his experiences.

“I will show some clips from the show and what it means to be forced to do Rob Riggle’s laundry,” he said.

Riggle, a comedian, is also a correspondent for “The Daily Show.”

Mandvi said students would gain very little from his lecture.

“But in parts, and in small chunks, they will gain insight into themselves and their fellow human beings,” he said.

Kerch said this lecture would be filled with comedy.

“There will be plenty of jokes,” he said. “‘The Daily Show’ makes fun of everyone.”

Jessica Leggin can be reached at 581-7942 or at [email protected].

Aasif Mandvi to give Fake News lecture tonight

Aasif Mandvi, of “The Daily Show,” presents “Fake News” at 8 tonight at the Martin Luther King, Jr. University Union. (Submitted photo)