Volleyball Notebook: Boylan sidelined with tonsillitis

Junior libero Shaina Boylan did not play in the Holiday Inn Express Panther Challenge because she contracted tonsillitis.

According to head coach Lori Bennett, Boylan is “very sick” and could be out for a few days or a few weeks, depending on her treatment plan.

Freshman libero Brittany Wallace filled in for Boylan in all three matches. Wallace had 41 digs in the tournament.

“She’s done a really good job,” Bennett said.

Freshmen step up against Chicago State

The Panthers had strong performances from their freshmen during this weekend’s tournament.

Freshman middle blocker Melanie Boykins had eight kills against Chicago State on Saturday and four assisted blocks.

“It felt great to go out and help my team and contribute to the win,” Boykins said.

Practice, according to Boykins, is very competitive and intensity is easily brought into a match.

Freshman setter Hannah Deterding filled in for junior setter Lauren Schutte for the last two matches of the tournament.

Deterding recorded 44 assists, 16 digs and three assisted blocks.

Freshman outside hitter Madison Barr had eight kills and two assisted blocks against Chicago State.

Western’s Houston overpowers Eastern

In Friday night’s match, Western Illinois University had a secret weapon against the Panthers: senior left side hitter Monique Houston.

Houston led the Westerwinds in the four-set victory with 15 kills and had a team high .350 hitting percentage.

The Western senior also had many strong attacks that would rebound off Eastern potential blocks for a kill.

She said Western setter Sarah Trimpe gave her good serves.

Houston was able to take control of the third set.

She had eight kills while contributing a hitting percentage of .800.

“I kind of figured out that I was hitting in the same spot,” Houston said. “I adjusted where I was hitting it weak.”

Western head coach Kym McKay said Houston was a raw talent as a recruit but has been able to progress tremendously in her abilities beginning in her junior year.

“She adjusted physically and mentally at the same time,” McKay said. “It has been fun watching her progress.”

Houston won All-Tournament Team honors at the Panther Challenge and was Second Team All-Conference in the Summit League in the 2007 season.

Western uses tip kills to defeat Eastern

McKay’s team utilized a blended offensive attack against the Panthers.

The Westerwinds made use of tip kills, lightly attacking the ball short to frequently surprise Eastern defenders for points.

This strategy worked for most of the match.

“With the scheme Eastern was running and their footwork, we were able to execute (tipping),” McKay said.

Tipping is used in Western’s offensive systems in order to mix up hard and soft hits for unpredictability, McKay said.

Bob Bajek can be reached at 581-7944 or at [email protected].

Volleyball Notebook: Boylan sidelined with tonsillitis

Outside hitter Alex Zwettler signals to her teammates during Sunday night’s match against Toledo in Lantz Arena.(Erin Matheny