City, county work together for future park

The Coles County Board tabled an agreement at its April 8 meeting that would turn a small portion of county land, located at Sixth Street and Madison Avenue, into a small park.

Curt Devore, the city superintendent of parks and facility maintenance, said the agreement would have the city and county split all future maintenance by half.

“The total cost of the park is somewhere around $40,000,” he said. “The city is asking the county to come up with $10,000 of that $40,000.”

The proposed agreement between the city and the county would have the two governments split the cost of future maintenance including vandalism, he added.

Brian Jones, director of parks and recreation, said that he hasn’t had much involvement with the park’s proposal, but he did make a couple of comments on the size of the park and what the park would include.

“The discussed idea for the area is to put in a gazebo, some benches, trees and landscaping,” he said. “Trash receptacles would be added to the sidewalks that match the rest of the Square. This is not a big area so that is about all that would fit in it.”

Devore also made a proposal that would move the Panther Express bus stop from City Hall to the park, stating that the traffic was better there and that it would be a good place for students’ enjoyment.

“We’re creating a gazebo there, an overhead structure, to provide some shelter for people,” Devore said. “It could be a good spot for people to hang out during bad weather. Plus, it’s a little less busy down that side of the corner compared to City Hall.”

The park would also provide a place for local residents, students and employees to eat their lunches and take their dogs on walks.

“I know that there’s a lot of dogs on the Square right now, so we’re going to put some doggy little pooper scoops out there to pick up dog waste,” he said. “You know, give them the opportunity to pick them up.”

There were some concerns with the park interfering with future construction, but Devore doesn’t see any reason for concern stating that they were guaranteed a minimum of 10 years before any other construction takes place and that anything built can easily be moved and transported in the future.

“The things we’re building are going to be built under the design that we can pick them up and move them down the road if this county needs that property for something else,” Devore said. “Trees can be transplanted, shrubs can be moved and gazebos are going to be bolted down with bolts on a hooding that can be picked up and moved. I’ve been told by some of the people from the county that there’s going to be a minimum of 10 years before they’re even going to be thinking about this.”

The county board will review the proposal at the May County Board meeting.

Michael Schwader can be reached at 581-7942 or at [email protected].

City, county work together for future park

Four-year-old Mallie Hanner plays on the jungle gym at Morton Park with her Grandmother Carolyn Hanner on Wednesday afternoon in Charleston. (John Bailey / The Daily Eastern News)